Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

single drop header

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
edited July 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
I am going to assume of the cost is minimal is a factor but how much quicker and easier to do a single drop header vs what I see here a lot which is a double drop header, on small residential ( union steam 125,000 btu ) is it necessary to use a double, my supply house says just go with a single and that is his own opinion, he also says that even just a single drop header is giving the customer a better product.

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    What does the manual state? For a few pieces of pipe and fittings I personally would go with two.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    If the supply tapping is 3 inch and you have the height i don t think i would bother ,i have one set up for next month thats a 118 btu and w 2 2 inch mains ill do a single 3 inch riser with no drop header but i have over 4 ft from top of the boiler to the mains so im over confident that no drop header is needed with that much vertical height carry over would have to be a salmon to make that leap .I would as advised take a peek in the manual .If the boiler has only 2 inch tapping and there not off the top i believe i would be re thinking it a little bit and doing 2 2 riser into a 3 header totally depending how many mains your tieing into ur header but thats me and i love low exiting velocities and dry steam but that just me .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    I took a peek, it had a single drop header and called it a counter flow, also said lowest part of header 14 inch minimum, but I will play it safe with 24 inches. I guess that answered my question