Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CREAKY KNEES

EBEBRATT-Ed
EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
Like everyone else in this business who has done this work for a long time my knees are pretty creaky. I have bad luck using a knee pad. I tend to leave it behind moving from place to place....like installing baseboard.

I have the usual strap on knee pads that are comfy to kneel on but the straps behind my knees are a killer. Tried a few pairs.

Anyone have a better solution or knee pads they recommend??

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Duluth (work clothes etc.)
    They had some bib overhauls with pockets for knee pads,
    I have a pair of the bibs but the pockets just plain suck.
    But the knee pads seemed pretty good.

They might have some work pants with those pockets.
  • Mike
    Mike Member Posts: 94
    I got the same problem. But have to wear the uniform. So Duluth is out. Been trying to get the younger guys to get down more, and do more of the stand up work. But, I just have to down on my knees. Getting down is not the problem, its getting up is the killer. Even the equipment is getting smaller, can't sit on the bucket to often. The only brightside, is retirement isn't that far away. If I can make it.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Craftsman. $29/pair. The best for me in terms of thwarting pain and providing comfort.
    Steve Minnich
    EzzyT
  • DrewM
    DrewM Member Posts: 12
    I've had good luck taping a couple layers of cardboard around my calves.
    Doesn't bunch behind your knees.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    Hockey goalie pads.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    I have a pair, not sure of the brand though, that have about a 1" wide silicone strap. Since they are not the velcro style, they don't get wore out after a week of use. Also, I have found unless you are an east coast steam guy, the straps are so long I have to tie knots in them to take up the slack.
    Either way, I have found if I just use the lower strap, it does not wad up behind my knee. Since I have found these with the silicone strap, I am more likely to use them more often. I just keep them in my bucket boss, and when I get to the job, I put them on before starting.
    Rick
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    This or something like it.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Rich_49
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    I have been using these for a few years now and love them. The single strap does not hurt the back of my knee, and they are very comfy. The only issue I have is that they have a harder time staying in place, but if you are careful about exactly how tight and exactly where you put them on, they tend to stay pretty well

https://www.better-tools.com/product/leather-knee-pads/
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,976
    edited July 2018
    These knee pads have saved my knees:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NCY3BW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will forget that I have them on and when I go down on my knees, I brace for the pain which never comes.

The hard surface evenly distributes the weight across the knee.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    kcopp
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited July 2018
    Working on cars, kneeing on pavement....... found an old 2 inch thick yoga mat being thrown out. Cut ~ 15 inch long section out of it, as single kneeing pad. Works pretty good.

Best pad I found was a black ~ 2.5 inch thick tough closed cell pad that came in some packing crate. ~ 15 x 24 inch. I used to be able to drop on it from standing position , no pain. And I killed my knees in my 30's kneeing on wood in attic installing insulation in floor.
    kcopp
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Best solution is retirement.
    Tinmanratio
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    edited July 2018
    I'm too late. I've been working professionally with wrenches since I'm about 13 years old.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @unclejohn had the answer like best LOL. But I am trying to get through one more year.

Thank you for all responses!