Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Say it ain't so...

Canucker
Canucker Member Posts: 722
You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
Tinman

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Wow! Congratulations Stephen! It's good to know someone who has been in the trenches will now design systems. Best of luck in your new endeavor.
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    @Canucker Its true. I'm not sure I was going to say anything? I'm just another boiler guy.

Thanks @Fred .

I'm looking forward to what's next. My knees are shot. My lungs aren't so great either. My body made the decision for me, loud and clear. I'm actually going to take the train into the city carrying only a laptop and a few other things. It'll be strange but the right decision. I have one granddaughter and another on the way and I want to be healthy enough to play with them. 38 years is enough. Time to learn how to use some other tools.

Here's Penny, 15 months old. Her mom is my eldest daughter, Stacey. The next mom is my youngest, Stevie. She got married last year. Life moves fast. You gotta be ready.

Steve Minnich
    CanuckerSolid_Fuel_ManRomanGK_26986764589
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 849
    Congrats on your retirement from your current job. I suspect your new endeavor will be just as rewarding, just in a different way. Enjoy the next chapter!
    Tinman
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    @Stephen Minnich I'm sure you'll be successful in your new endeavor, I just wasn't expecting the announcement. And of course we're interested in what you do, at the very least good heating contractors are hard to come by, of which you are one.
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
    Tinman
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 272
    Good Luck! My Dad faced a similar situation. He was working as a sheet metal worker and refrigeration tech (back when the refrigerants were ammonia and hydrogen sulfide) then, one day, he hurt his back and the doctor advised avoiding physical labor. So he went to night school and earned a degree in Mechanical Engineering and finally settled in at Tenney Eng..
    Tinman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I just turned 65 today!! Didn't think I would make it. Still working Union pipefitter.......but not much longer. 45 years this month working in the trade.

I could go another year but I dread another winter...haven't decided yet. In fact, I just had a job offer last week. Drop the tools and just look at and estimate. I would make the switch but too late for me... I want out.

@Stephen Minnich best of luck in your new endevour. You will do well. I here you with the aches and pains.
    Tinman
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    Well done, Stephen. I’ve enjoyed the whole, gorgeous ride with you and yours. I’m proud of you, pal.
    Retired and loving it.
    Tinman
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Congratulations, Stephen. They're lucky to have you on board.

(And what an adorable granddaughter!)
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    @EBEBRATT-Ed - Thank you! I probably would’ve had lasted longer if I didn’t think I was indestructible when I was younger.

@Erin Holohan Haskell - Thank you so much! She is the light of my life, just so much fun to be around.

@Dan Holohan - A HUGE thank you to you!! I got a Master’s Degree in hydronics from this site. Early on, I absorbed as much as I possibly could and had the best teachers in the world right here. Too many to name but it all started with you, heatboy, hot rod, ME, Frank from Philly, Steve Ebels, Ken Secor, Paul Pollets, and into the present with Harvey, Gordy, Zman, Ironman, and all the others.

And what you and heatinghelp did for Stevie 20 years ago was absolutely incredible.

Thank you.
    Steve Minnich
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    Love you, pal. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
    Tinman
  • I'm on 38 years as well, but not quite ready to hang up the tools. Too many expensive habits.
    It was nice hanging out with you and please drop in on us here on The Wall when you get the chance.
    Let me know if you ever come to SF. I'll show you around.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Tinman
    @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes - Thank you and I'll still be hanging out around here. The education never stops. I've never been to San Francisco but I will certainly keep that in mind.
    Steve Minnich