Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam boiler with baseboard loop

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
I have a steam boiler with a domestic coil, customer wants to use the domestic coil for a baseboard. Can I just get ride of the mixing vale’s, add a pump, airseperator, expansion tank, bleeder, pressure reducer and check valve. Have the pump come on with a switching relay. Am I missing anything. The costumer also opted to install an electric water heater. No gas in house. And hard water coming in house.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    > @Snowmelt said:
    > I have a steam boiler with a domestic coil, customer wants to use the domestic coil for a baseboard. Can I just get ride of the mixing vale’s, add a pump, airseperator, expansion tank, bleeder, pressure reducer and check valve. Have the pump come on with a switching relay. Am I missing anything.

Tridicator, 30 lb. relief valve, and back flow preventer.
    Just pipe it like any 1 zone boiler.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    Yes. I do it all the time.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Oops forgot the pressure relief valve, I went Friday to install it, I stoped and installed a fitting for the valve I will finish it in Tuesday and maybe take a picture.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Depends on what you are talking about, could you grab some fitting and throw it in,yeah, will it work? who knows? you need to know the size of the coil, the btu's you need, the flow rate, is the coil still being used for hot water? what is the coil capable of? forget boiler size, chances are if it's a small addition requiring only 6000 btu's it might work, what the hell, hold some fingers up from across the street and measure the AC size while you're there. - sarcasm

was the coil used at one time and taken out of service due to scale build up?