Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Danby Oil Furnaces

johnboy585
johnboy585 Member Posts: 1
Hello, I am in need of a new oil furnace and came across a Danby KLR-100 which does not have the high efficiency condensing feature. I read that the condensing ones are trouble. I cannot find hardly any user reviews on this brand. I presently have a 24 year old Airco that has a leaky heat exchanger and would like an upgrade.
If anyone has any experience with Danby furnaces, your input would be appreciated. Thank You.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Is this an oil fired, forced hot air furnace, or a hot water boiler?
    You are better off finding a replacement for what you have, which is sold by a stocking dealer near you, so you can get any replacement parts needed quickly if needed. If you buy an off brand, then consider getting two, so you can rob one for any parts you may need.
    Most reliability problems are due to the installer not following specific instructions as to the sizing, and installation of the appliance. High efficiency models will need more maintenance, and cleaning, to be long lived and reliable.—NBC
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Do you mean Granby?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Isn't Granby aka Pensotti?
    steve
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    cant go wrong with a peerless boiler
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    edited June 2018
    KLC is condensing, the KLR is not and yep it's Granby-Pensotti-Conforto

http://www.granbyindustries.com/en-us/heating-products/categories/warm-air-furnaces-oil-en-us/

side note, can't stand condensing oil
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    @johnnyboy585

stay away from condensing oil furnaces or boilers
    GBart
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    I have looked at the condensing furnace Granby has... actually want to install one to see how it works.. they stand behind it and swear they've solved the issues...
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    edited June 2018
    lchmb said:

I have looked at the condensing furnace Granby has... actually want to install one to see how it works.. they stand behind it and swear they've solved the issues...

I was looking at the cutaway, seems like a good design, the only issue would be if the oil burner came out of tune you'd end up with the black molasses gunk, some of the early ones didn't burn clean enough to prevent it on a good day. Trane and others used to use a completely round kaowool chamber in standard units with round holes in it all around, that chamber made an oil burner burn real clean due to the intense heat, open chamber units with no heat reflected back do not burn well and never will.