Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NYC Boiler Venting

ScottSecor
ScottSecor Member Posts: 851
We have a customer here in NJ that is about to purchase a home in the upper east side of Manhattan. He plans on installing a condensing boiler for heat and an indirect for dhw needs. He is hoping to use the chimney as a chase for the exhaust and the intake air as venting through the side of the home is impossible.

Does anybody know what the current codes require for venting materials and fresh air materials? I seem to recall that he cannot use PVC for venting, but what about using PVC for fresh air? Can he use CPVC, polypropylene or stainless for the vent?

Thank you,
Scott

Comments

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Need to check local code
    Dan Foley
  • ScottSecor
    Bob,
    Thank you, but that's what I tried to do for an hour or so this morning. NYC codes are not all that clear. Only thing I recall reading is that PVC is not allowed for venting, and they suggest using what manufacturer recommends. Kind of confusing for me.

I'm hoping that someone from NYC can chime in and give some advise.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Most manufacturers "approve" the use of PVC, CPVC, Polypropylene, and Stainless. So my guess is that if PVC is not allowed, than all the other choices are fair game.

If imagine PVC would be fine for air intake though. It's just the exhaust I'd think they would be concerned about. But I'm in Maine where code are more lax about such things.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • ScottSecor
    Many years ago I was told PVC was not allowed in NYC for plumbing drains due to the toxic fumes from a fire that could kill all the occupants (especially in a high rise). Later I was told the labor unions were the ones that fought it as it would greatly reduce the labor during construction. Not sure either one is true. I'm picturing all of the items we use today that would likely produce toxic fumes like non-metallic boiler cabinets, boiler controls, flat screen televisions, pex tubing, etc.

I'm certain PVC is not allowed in NYC for boiler venting, just not sure about my other questions.
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    You can do that. Venting in the chimney, used as shaft must be supported every 5', material and method approved by manufacturer. No pvc allowed. All exhaust restrictions must confirm to NYC fuel gas code, NFPA and boiler manual.
  • ScottSecor
    Gennady,
    Thank you! What do you recommend for fresh air?
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    edited April 2018
    Anything goes. PVC Ok. But look at total equivalent length limits. Make sure you are within allowable length.
    For exhaust I recommend flex vent. centrotherm or similar. Make sure it is approved by boiler manufacturer and listed in the manual. Comes with support and as a kit with thermination. You cannot change material of exhaust venting, so everything must be same manufacturer and material. Some manufacturers make stainless steel termination pipe. Will not fly in NYC.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    flex centrotherm is awesome stuff. perfect for this application. I'm not in NYC so I can't comment on requirements.

I'd be surprised if my local AHJ notices a lack of a relief valve.....its the wild west out here, gotta love small towns!
    the_donut