Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator integrated in the wall. Where is the closing valve?

Options
NFER
NFER Member Posts: 32
I will move to an apartment with this type of radiator. But the apartment is quite hot (we have been there during the winter) and I would like to know where the closing valve is.
Also what is the best way to clean the radiator inside? Right now it is full of dust.

This is the top apartment of a heating system.

Comments

• Shalom
    Shalom Member Posts: 165
    edited April 2018
    Options
    That's a convector, not a radiator. The shut off valve is in the bottom; that grille on the bottom is removable, then put your hand inside on one side or the other and you'll feel a round knob. (edit: it would be on the side opposite the air vent, so the left side on this one.)

As for cleaning it, heck if I know, Ideally you'd hose it out, but where would the water go, right on the floor. Might try blowing it down (or up from the bottom) with compressed air, but be prepared for a fountain of dust shooting out. You'll probably need a compressor, not just one of those cans of air that they sell for cleaning computers.

Each of those rectangular slots funnels down to a narrower slot at the bottom; the idea is that air enters through the bottom,is warmed by the cast iron and wafts back out the top. You could try shoving a small wad of cotton down from the top of each slot with a wire and catching it at the bottom. I tried this once and lost the piece of cotton. Maybe a long skinny fluffy brush like music shops sell for cleaning wind instruments (like a saxophone) would be the way to go. You'd have to slide it into each one of those slots. Google image search for saxophone brushes; they're not expensive.

Oh, one other thing. My mother's house in Brooklyn (where these were and still are manufactured) has them. If that's in the kitchen, there may be a film of grease from cooking coating the inside, which is gonna hold onto the dust. The one I tried cleaning was in fact the kitchen one, it didn't occur to me at the time that it might have needed some degreaser like dish detergent, but then you're back to water on the floor. The rest of them will probably be much easier to clean.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    If I'm seeing correctly, that is a a one pipe system and their is a vent showing on the right side of that convector. There may be a shut off under the unit but they rarely work after 75 or 100 years. If you can turn that vent upside down that should close the vent and prevent air from escaping. If air can't get out, steam can't get in and it should remain cool. You can try a vacuum to clean the convector.
  • NFER
    NFER Member Posts: 32
    Options