Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rebuilding Thermostatic Traps

josephc
josephc Member Posts: 39
We recently purchased a home which has a two pipe steam system. I am learning about the system and have the lost art of steam heating and the we got steam books. The boiler was replaced with a weil mclain eg-50 prior to our owning the home and consists of four radiators. Not sure what boiler was there before but as I read I am learning more of what the system may have been originally.
I am seeing a number of issues with the system that I may be bringing up in future posts but for now I have a question regarding refurbishment of thermostatic traps.
The ½ inch radiator traps are three MILVACO H100 and one Barnes&Jones #122. Has anyone here rebuilt these traps before and if so should I go with the cartridge style kit or something else and of these three manufacturers – Barnes&Jones, MEPCO, TURNSTALL – is one any better for these model traps? Am I able to keep the existing covers? Anything else to be aware of when doing this work?
Thank you
Joe

Comments

• Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Barnes & Jones will make the repair kits for all those. The cage units are the same for all models you are asking about so performance will be identical. I'm obviously partial to B&J since I used to work there. They would also be making the cage units for Mepco.

Part for 122A is 1721 uses existing cover
    Part for H100 is 3510 uses existing cover
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    edited April 2018
    If I am correct Peter, don’t the Barnes and jones replacements move more air during venting than the originals? I know it’s true of the hoffman 17c.
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    josephc said:

The boiler is (sic) a Weil Mclain eg-50 and consists of four radiators.

That sentence does not compute...

New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    delta T1Matthias
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    @New England SteamWorks Agreed, that is a lot of boiler for 4 radiators.... unless they are somewhere around 110 EDR each....
    Over sized much?
  • Sailah
    the_donut said:

If I am correct Peter, don’t the Barnes and jones replacements move more air during venting than the originals? I know it’s true of the hoffman 17c.

It depends. On traps where the seat is removed, yes there will be an increase in venting. On traps with an integral seat the new cage unit has to fit down in the seat so venting will not be as high. Either way a cage unit reacts much faster than the bellows present in older traps which has efficiency gains.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • josephc
    A Barnes and Jones rep emailed me that the 2164 with 2164C cover is more commonly used. I don't know if its because it is more readily available over the 3510 or if people have found it more difficult to use the existing milvaco cover.
  • josephc
    edited April 2018
    delta T said:

@New England SteamWorks Agreed, that is a lot of boiler for 4 radiators.... unless they are somewhere around 110 EDR each....
    Over sized much?

with regards to boiler size; we purchased home in 2015 and the boiler had been replaced by previous owners in 2011. There is evidence of at least two removed radiators from house.

The EDR of the 4 radiators adds to 288. The eg-50 is 454 sq ft of steam. We are having an addition put on home which will add another radiator.
  • Sailah
    josephc said:

A Barnes and Jones rep emailed me that the 2164 with 2164C cover is more commonly used. I don't know if its because it is more readily available over the 3510 or if people have found it more difficult to use the existing milvaco cover.

Go with that then. Not sure who the rep is but sounds like they know what they are talking about. I honestly have no personal info about which is the better fit, it lists both options in the guide.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ