Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PH testing

Has anyone a recommendation for a good PH tester. Some of them on Amazon seem almost too cheap to be any good.—NBC

Comments

• PMJ
    PMJ Member Posts: 1,265
    I have a Milwaukee MW102 which has been so-so because it seems the electrode lasts about a year. I now also have an Extech Ph100 which I like but don't yet know about longevity.

How exactly do you need to know the PH? I also keep paper around which gets you pretty close on the very cheap. Various ranges are available with increments of .5PH.
    1926 1000EDR Mouat 2 pipe vapor system,1957 Bryant Boiler 463,000 BTU input, Natural vacuum operation with single solenoid vent, Custom PLC control
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    I use the Extech PH100 and it works well.
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • AnthraciteEnergetics
    AnthraciteEnergetics Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2018
    How accurate? I like pH paper (no batteries, calibration, etc) but I only need resolution to a single pH unit or so. If you need down to 0.1 or 0.01 go with the suggested probe meters.

Oh and they do make limited range pH papers for example boiler water 6.0 - 8.0 or whatever, with higher resolution.
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    I’ve tried pH meters but I always end up going back to litmus paper. With it I can quickly tell if the boiler pH is out of range and that’s pretty much all I need it for.
    Never stop learning.
    BobC
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    i picked up a roll of pHydration paper a couple of years back that covers PH 6 to 11 and find that tells me everything I need to know.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Canucker
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Consider a dual meter if you are testing for hydronic system. The TDS is a critical number to watch.

With any of the ph meters you want to check calibration from time to time. Recalibration depends on how often you use the meter and how it is stored. Some meters come with a few vials or packets of re-calibration fluid.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    @hot rod is right. Watch how you store the meter probe, if it's not in the proper solution, it's going to have a short life
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    In the choice between paper or plastic, I think I will choose paper!
    I will also take the test strip outside so as to have good light with which to compare the colors.—NBC
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Here is a good comparison two between methods for testing.

Also each ph value is 10 times more or less acidic or alkaline than the number next to it, so knowing if the fluid is 7, 7.2, 7.4, etc is often important.

https://litmus-paper.com/5-main-differences-ph-paper-ph-meter/
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    I was wondering about Ph because I was having to clean my rust-colored gauge glass every couple of weeks.
    Last time I did this, I gave a longer than usual flush of the boiler bottom through the 2 valves I put on for that purpose. I let out the whole operating level, until it ran pretty clear. Maybe that will have removed all the rust particles which must have been in there, and which were stirred up every time it boiled.
    I just remember having had problems matching the colors on the strips a long time ago.—NBC
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    If your doing it for a living you probably want a PH meter. As a home owner the litmous strips are probably enough. The meters have to be stored correctly while the strips are pretty much goof proof if they are kept dry.

You can buy paper that covers the range from PH 5 -9 for a decent price on Amazon and it gives you 0.5 resolution which is probably fine for what we need to do.

NBC is right about needing relatively clear water to test with, let it settle so and particles drop to the bottom before you test.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Canucker