Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Seattle Steam Landmark

Options

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    Nice!
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing it, Paul.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    I recall Dan visiting here and writing about it...
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I grew up in Seattle during the war. Our family lived in a project, off Yesler Way. There were it seemed to me at least 100 buildings with multiple units all heated with steam heat. The plant was about a mile away and I always marveled at the genius that planned and constructed that heating system. Old memories.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I grew up in as project on the east coast, there were probably 60 buildings (4 apartments each) with a steam plant to supply heat and hot water. In the summer you went into that plant to borrow lawn mowers and rakes do you could trim the plot of grass that each apartment had in front of the unit.

You walked through a door and walked down a industrial stair case to go over to the desk so you sign whatever you needed out for a couple of days. I remember there were two huge boilers that I imagined were like a great ships engine, In the off season they would have one of them apart so they could do maintenance on it while the other was putting out steam to heat the hot water.

Across the river was the Fore River ship yard, all the kids would line up on the beach when they were launching a new ship, back in the 50's they were mostly navy warships. Back then that was great place to grow up, no crime and hundreds of parents to keep you in line.
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge