Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rheem furnace cycles off after 2 seconds of flame

drgansen
drgansen Member Posts: 3
I have a Rheem furnace model RGED-09ERAJS 90,000 BTU drum type burner circuit board was a Honeywell it went bad so I installed a later model board M/N 1012-920A
purge blower run, pressure switch is made, hot surface ignition turns red hot, gas valve turns on and burner lights for 2 seconds then goes out and then it starts al over again I installed new hot surface igniter did not help (the hot surface igniter is the flame sensor has no flame probe or thermocouple ).The neutrals on circuit board are connected to the incoming power neutral wire and is connected to furnace. I also installed both new LPG regulators on gas supply to furnace, 10 inches of water column on burner manifold, cleaned burner orifice What am I missing?

HELP I need this furnace working

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    You've probably installed a board that requires a flame rod.

That furnace is failed design and should be replaced.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    SuperTech
  • drgansen
    The circuit board I installed is one of 304 Rheem models it fits. Is there a way to change flame sensor types, there is a 4 DIP switch on this board. I would like to know if I missed something or did I purchase a defective board.
    PS. This furnace has had very little use, also installed a new drum burner too the old one look good but I had a new one on hand so I tried it
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Rheem was supplying aftermarket retrofit flame sensor kits after it turned out the HSI wasn't doing the job. They were for the ribbon burner furnace generation before the drums.

I dodged a bullet by changing suppliers as the drums were coming out. I heard they were all recalled. They had a short career IIRC.
    drgansen
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I'm sure any replacement board needs a flame sensor. It should all be in the instructions.
  • Dennis
    Dennis Member Posts: 101
    Is the heater electrically grounded, if so is the module grounded? Flame rectification demands a good ground. You might also look into the air switch.
    Just do it, right.
  • drgansen
    Dennis Thanks yes grounds and polarity of supply voltage to neutral's are correct and pressure switch is working the burner does light for 2 seconds. I didn't get instructions on this new board 1012-920A that's why I need all the help I can get.
    I would like to know more about the flame sensor on this board and how to retrofit a flame sensor on my drum burner.
    Thanks
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    edited March 2018
    You should have a professional look at this, it could be dangerous.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    @drgansen, please be careful and call in a professional.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    SuperTech
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Yes, that is a nightmare of a furnace. Something in the cobwebs in the back of my mind said Rheem especially wanted the LP versions of that furnace out of use. Might call a local Rheem/Ruud dealer and have them check with their tech rep on whether Rheem will help with the cost of replacement. That program likely is long passed ended but can't hurt to ask. The proper board would not require a separate flame sensor, boards that did were not for the drum furnace. Is there a Rheem part # on the board? The one you listed isn't Rheem's.