Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"Sears Home Warranty has not yet responded to a request for comment.'

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Once again, we see how these home warranty companies use the "bottom of the barrel" contractor. They're more concerned with finding the cheapest guy rather than finding one who's competent.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    In my great state of Maryland [I hate too inject politics in this, not really ] the AG is all upset because the Governor did not put money in the budget for him to sue the President about something. Why aren't state AG looking into what is a obvious fraud?
    Ironman
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    unclejohn said:

In my great state of Maryland [I hate too inject politics in this, not really ] the AG is all upset because the Governor did not put money in the budget for him to sue the President about something. Why aren't state AG looking into what is a obvious fraud?

Too busy looking at Fraud in Annapolis! B)
    Ironmanheidleml
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited February 2018
    unclejohn said:

Because that's not part of his political agenda. Protecting the people in his state is his job, but not his personal priority.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Koan
    Koan Member Posts: 439
    I know this is off-topic.

While not addressing politics, I can shed light on important tax issues. If you read nothing else please make sure you project your taxes for 2018 and compare with your tax withholdings. Many will be in for a huge shock.

The tax issue in Maryland is not trivial. The new 2017 TJCA tax law will raise federal taxable income for many in Maryland. Federal taxes for some in Maryland will go up because of the loss of state tax deductions. In some cases Federal tax will go down even though Federal taxable income goes up due to lower federal tax brackets.

Since all of the withholding tables for 2018 lower taxes withheld, it is important to project your actual tax liability for the year, otherwise you could owe taxes and interest.

Maryland taxes, however, are driven off of Federal taxable income, meaning that Maryland taxes may go up significantly for many people because of the change in federal tax law.

Sorry for the diatribe, you all know steam better than I, and have helped me more than I can say.

I have a 1969 755 EDR American standard boiler on 399 EDR of 11 radiators from 1928. Could not get the boiler clean in spite of continual blow downs of the LWCO, could not flush the wet returns (no valves), Near boiler piping was nearly fully occluded, traps didn't work, bad gas valve, cracked sight glass, perforated LWCO float, main vent too small. Before wanding, the boiler was so dirty that hunks of sludge, literally several pounds of it, were removed, boiler drain was corroded, but so clogged it would not flow at all. This community has been incredibly helpful. This is my feeble attempt to give back.
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    Wow that guy seemed so calm about the whole thing. I would be very angry. Stories like that make our industry look bad
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,165
    A comment of @Koan ... it is quite true that if you have the misfortune to live in a high tax state -- such as Maryland, but also Kalifornia or New York or New Jersey of Mass or CT... your taxes will probably go up because of the reduction in the SALT deduction. That, may I remind you, is not the fault of the Federal tax system, but a result of out of control state and local spending. Aim thy wrath at the villians...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Robert O'BrienIronmanSolid_Fuel_Man
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    edited February 2018
    I live here in my modest rambler with 7 pinballs in the basement which is the only reason to go down their. So The doubling of the SD should offset the min.10k SALT deduction. But if I lived in the areas I used to service. Not so much, but then that area is not what I consider middle income and that was what the tax break was all about.