Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking Burnham V75 section

razzor
razzor Member Posts: 20
I have a 20 year old Burnham V75 hot water boiler that has sprung a 2” horizontal crack in one section and leaks when furnace is running. I have a plastic storage container under it and it leaks about a 1/2 “ of water a day. it seems to be running ok. Have LWC and auto fill. I live in Maine so can I make it through the winter until I have enough money to get a new boiler in the spring?

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,156
    It depends on how you define "make it through". At the very least the problem will stay the same and just be a pain in the ****.
    There's a possibility that it could become much worse without any warning.
    Those boilers are known leakers, I've seen a bunch fail while still under warranty.
    If you have the means to do so, I recommend replacing it as soon as possible and consider yourself lucky that it didn't flood your house
  • razzor
    Thanks Supertech. I mean make it until mid April. It is basically weeping just in that one section out of 5 sections. I have let it go for 6 days and had about 5 “ of water in a 16x25x13 storage container. I have fixed it so it doesn’t leak on the floor. I just don’t have the funds to replace right now.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    @razzor , chances are it will stay the same you only have two months to go.

Start doing your homework by selecting the new boiler , check to make sure it's the correct size by doing or having someone do a heat loss.
  • razzor
    This is the section that is leaking.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    Too bad. I am old school and still think a cast iron boiler, (especially a water boiler) should last more than 20 years
    SuperTech
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    > @EBEBRATT-Ed said:
    > Too bad. I am old school and still think a cast iron boiler, (especially a water boiler) should last more than 20 years

Agree. But I don't think the Burnham V7,V8 went to school.
    SuperTech
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,783
    Yep thats where the V7 cracks ....Good luck
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    SuperTech
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,156
    It's too bad about Burnham. Because of those typical failures that I still doubt the quality of the product they produce. It seems like newer ones are nicer but I won't be fooled again.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,783
    edited February 2018
    Takes years for the trade to forget .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all