Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Uponor ADS

Tom_133
Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
Anyone using the Uponor ADS software? If so I got a question

I was working on a heat loss for a friend using the ADS Software, his build was tall ceilings a bit of glass and R19 walls, quality windows. When I got to the construction quality settings, I put in best. Here is where I am a little perplexed. After plugging in all the heat loss factors the project called for plates, and a temperature of 110 at -20 and 20mph winds. Ok no problem, thats what I did, sadly at -20 (which we had for 2 weeks on and off, more on) it didn't keep up.

I had the system at no setback, no ODR, after turning the water temp to 135 it maintained the temp but wouldn't climb any higher. Water going out 135 coming back on all zones 125. Plenty of boiler, piping arrangement is correct.

After this I went back in and looked at construction quality and changed it to average, then my water temp with plates was 168 and needed supplemental.

Why is there such a vast difference when it comes construction quality on the program? What are the factors that make up that setting?

Tom
Montpelier Vt

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    wow whats your loop length
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Because best is BEST and Average is garbage . It's really that simple . Your key would be to look at ACH that appears on each room entry sheet . Best and average are very different , that is your difference , one may show .3 ach while the other shows =<1 ACH . ACH is short for air changes per hour , pretty self explanatory that it takes more heat energy to heat a space that has 1 ach than one that only has .3 ach . Hope that helps
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Using the "best" setting should be reserved for super-tight, well insulated homes. Like those homes that are targeting a low HERS score to qualify for government incentives.
    Rich_49
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I don't think I've ever used "Best"? Call me cynical but I just don't trust anything or anyone that much. I'd have to see the workmanship of the door and window installations, the quality of the insulation installation, and so on to put my name on it. Or, the person guaranteeing me "Best" would have to sign off on it.
    Steve Minnich
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Tom_133
    Thanks guys, this helps. I now know that average is what I go with unless its spray foamed and blower door tested. Its funny that they have poor, average, and Best but the drop between best and average is quite substantial. Oh well, gotta figure this one out!!
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    If the average where you're at is anything like the average where I'm at, the average is pretty poor!
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    In the Manual J calculations, "average" is a new home built to today's standards.
  • Tom_133
    WOW! If you are having your wholesaler or their salesman do your heat losses you better be very careful what they are plugging in there!!

I was very surprised the dramatic drop between the two selections, best was 110 degree water, average was 160 or something unbelievable.

They should have a dumb, dumb warning for me.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    Rich_49