Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Common Return using FlowChecks?

Moved into my house about a year ago.The heating system is a forced hot water 5 zone system the 5th being DHW SuperStor. All the zones are protected from ghost flow via Honeywell zone valves on the sending manifold. I am looking to do away with my old cabinet full of relays and crap that I don't need anymore and get a Taco SR506-4 board to control the Circ pumps, however I noticed that I only have 4 circ pumps for 5 sending zones so I looked at the schematic and it looks like two thermostats are controlling one RA89A relay and powering a common circulator for a common return on zones 3 and 4. If I want to do away with the Zone valves and moved just to circ pumps and flow checks would I need to Direct return that 3rd or 4th zone with its own circ pump or could I do that with Flowchecks somehow? I am thinking I will need to direct return whichever zone is easiest.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Something doesn't sound right. Post some pictures of the boiler, pumps and piping.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Why not a single circulator and 4 or 5 zone valves. Unless you have a very large load, rarely do you need multiple circs.

Zone valves with an ECM delta P circulator is a good route, less pumping power, and the flow is adjusted in the ECM as zones open and close.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Take a look at the teckmar control units...