Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is the Gorton 1 supposed to hiss the whole time?

acl10
acl10 Member Posts: 349
I had a ventrite 75 on one of the mains and it would close after a while. The Gorton 1 I replaced it with doesnt close and hisses a whole time. Is that the way its supposed to be? It has a much bigger hole then the Ventrite 75. When I turn it over and blow into t it closes so I know thats not the problem.

Comments

• ImYoungxD
    ImYoungxD Member Posts: 130
    It should fully close and be quiet once steam reaches the gordon.
    Could be defective or dirty. Try cleaning the inside before returning/exchanging.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    The Gorton 1 is a pretty small vent-is this a short 10 foot main?
    If it’s longer it may just be requiring extra burner time to sueeze the air out.
    Or it may just not be able to close against overpressure.—NBC
  • acl10
    acl10 Member Posts: 349
    The gortons work on one of the pipes on the other maybe as he says there is to much pressure so I am going back to 2 Ventrite 75s on that pipe. They are new so they werent dirty and I tested them before. Its not near the boiler I tapped into the pipe wher it goes upstairs
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    The short answer is no, it shouldn't. You can take it off and shake it and all, but there is a quick easy test which you can do next time it fires up: is the vent getting steam hot? Not just hot, but steam hot? If it is, and it's hissing, then it's not closing properly. Either something got into it or it has a problem. On the other hand, if it's not truly steam hot, then it shouldn't close and is still trying to vent air...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    acl10, the test described here is not completely conclusive.
    Yes the float should raddle, it should pass air when up right, if you turn it upside down the float would seal the opening.

But the real test is when the steam gets to it. Then the thermostatic device inside should close the vent.
    This can only be confirmed by testing in place. It has to get hot, damn hot...burn your hand hot....then the vent should close.
    If it sets there passing air it is not done doing its job.....maybe should be bigger....passing air quicker to get the steam there.
    If it sit there passing air and not steam it is doing its job.
    Now if it is constantly passing steam that is bad.
    If it spits water then you have some piping issues.....IMO.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    How about fixing the pressure problem? Get the pressure down to where it is suppose to be, rather than installing 2 ventrites. You are not trying to use the Gorton on a wet return, as per your other post, are you?