Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can this be repaired?

Garsha
Garsha Member Posts: 18
I have a convector radiator in a one pipe system that has been leaking. I have since lowered the pressure of the boiler to .5, with 1 as the differential. The radiator gets hot all the way through, but it is leaking from what I guess is the air chamber (I can be completely wrong). Is there a way to repair it?
Mike

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Need a pic from a little further back.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    MilanD
  • Garsha
    Sorry. I have pictures, though I have cleaned the radiator since.
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    > @Garsha said:
    > Sorry. I have pictures, though I have cleaned the radiator since.

Can you point to where the leak is exactly? If it's on a threaded connection, it may be repearable. On a solid piece of casting or the tube part, 2part epoxy or surgery with a screw, 2part epoxy and self sealing tape over it may repair it, but won't be a permanent fix. It all really depends...
    Garsha
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    As @MilanD said, there are ways to repair the leak if it is in a casting or fabricated tube part (from the picture, I'm guessing fabricated tube -- could be wrong). The key to any repair of this sort, though, is that the surface on which you are applying the epoxy -- JB Weld -- must be bare metal clean. No trace of rust or oxidation. It doesn't have to be shiny -- but it has to be perfectly clean. You will want to wire brush it and maybe sand it, and wipe it with acetone of somesuch to get rid of any oils (but let that evaporate!) and then get the epoxy on there before it has a chance to rust again. You have about half an hour...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Garsha
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited January 2018
    Judging from the general condition of that convector and the rust through I see along the bottom edge on one of your pictures, which probably indicates a leak elsewhere in that convector, I'd consider a replacement, when the weather breaks.
    Garsha
  • Garsha
    I can't make out where the leak is coming from. I just see that it runs down, and drips. I can also hear air escaping from the same area, but I don't know how to find it.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Tubes of the convector are rotted .. Its leaking steam.. Keep the kids away ... Replace or cap..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Garsha
    Makes sense. Thank you.
  • Garsha
    edited January 2018
    > @Fred said:
    > Judging from the general condition of that convector and the rust through I see along the bottom edge on one of your pictures, which probably indicates a leak elsewhere in that convector, I'd consider a replacement, when the weather breaks.

> @Big Ed said:
    > Tubes of the convector are rotted .. Its leaking steam.. Keep the kids away ... Replace or cap.

Would you have any suggestions where I can find a replacement for it? I'm uncertain of the specific type. I know it's a
    semi-recessed fin tube convector radiator for a 1-pipe system, but I have yet to run across it's match through a Google search ..
  • Fred
    Some of the guys on this sight should be able to give you a couple sources.
    Garsha
  • Fred
    Check out Modine and Governdale as two brands that may have an acceptable replacement convector.
    Garsha
  • Garsha
    Cool. I will. Thank you.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Sterling also
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all