Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main Vent Recommendation

Major7
Major7 Member Posts: 44
I've lived in my 1930 built home for about three years now. My main vents have been stuck closed since day 1, and I've been circumspect to change them out myself due to concerns about seized threads, and a complete lack of space to put in a 'large' vent. My question is this: what's the best compact main vent out there? I bought ONE Barnes and Jones vari-vent a year and a half ago, and never installed it. Now I can't find a second one. The size is right for my needs, but I can't find another like it.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    edited January 2018
    You have to order that directly from Barnes and Jones in Randolf, MA Call Andrew at Barnes and Jones,

Andrew
    Phone # 1-781-963-8000, Extension 206

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Major7
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Call Barnes and Jones as Bob said- i just had them send me 12 vari vents.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    How much head room have you got?—NBC
  • Major7
    Major7 Member Posts: 44

Alan Welch
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    edited January 2018
    IIWM, I would cut more ceiling open. Add a 90 and at least a 6" horizontal nipple and then 90 up to new vent.
    The more distance between the main and the new vent will help protect it from getting hit with water and debris. Just be sure any condensate can drain out of the vent and back to the main.
    This method is used quite a bit. Your vent "pocket" can even be finished out as you desire.