Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noisy Taco 007?

Options
Jells
Jells Member Posts: 566
I have a 007 that was a little rattley sounding, so I swapped out the cartridge, but there's been no change! Anything to be done, can it be the check valve in there? Not the end of the world, but it's in the tenant's living room.

Comments

• newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    is there already a check valve in the loop?
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    Could be air. Air eliminator working?
    Try purging the loop.
  • Jells
    Options
    There's 2 check valves in the loop, and the Taco is mounted vertically so no air should be trapped. If there were enough air to reach it, it would be full of air and not function.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    Are you sure that you don't have a swing check valve some where that's rattling? You can use a mechanic's stethoscope to try and pin point the source of the noise. Has it always been this way, if not when did it start and what did you do to the system prior to the noise?
  • Jells
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Homer, It's rental so I don't know when it started, I noticed it showing it to new tenant prospects. Definitely no swing valves, both checks are spring type. I guess I could try a stethoscope, but it seems pretty clear it's coming from the pump.

I took this video for the sound, pumps definitely working, place is warm.
    https://youtu.be/wV3_w5V7PW4
  • HomerJSmith
    Options
    Wow. Interesting sound, a rattling for sure. This is my thought--the IFC is out of the volute housing and is rattling against the ell on the output of the pump.

"Hot Rod" had an experience where that happened to him. The IFC came apart and lodged in the boiler HX an created intermittent problem, so it does happen.

You can put the tip of a mechanic's stethoscope on the ell and you would certainly know for sure or move the tip to where the sound is the loudest. That should help in finding the problem.
  • HomerJSmith
    Options
    You know that a pump should be mounted with 12 pipe diameters of straight pipe on the inlet and at least 5 pipe diameters of straight pipe on the outlet before any change of direction.
  • Jells
    Options
    Thanks Homer. No I didn't know that spec, but this one was actually installed by pros not DIY! It's amazing the faith some people have that pros will get everything right. My current guy doesn't believe in setting water heaters to high and using a mixing valve.

Speaking of water heaters, that's what this pump is on, so there's not much complication there. Maybe I should try and pull the IFC and see if that makes a difference.
  • HomerJSmith
    Options
    Hold your horses! You are telling me that the 007 is on a water heater. Is it an indirect water storage tank connected to a boiler or is it a gas fired or electric water heater? Is the 007 a re-circulation pump? What does the 007 do? What is the 007's purpose?

If the 007 is connecting a boiler to an indirect water storage tank you will need a check valve on that circuit and if the 007 is a re-circulation pump, you will also need that check valve. The 007 is really much too large a pump for a re-circulation pump.

You need to be more forthright with your information.
  • Jells
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't see the relevance to the pump rattle. It's on a 40 gal B-W gas natural vented water heater rated for room heating, and heating a 450 ft apt attached on both side. Does a terrific job and has been in place since 2003 with one WH replacement.
  • HomerJSmith
    Options
    The 007 is brown, so that indicates that it has a bronze volute which is used on an open system like on a gas fired or electric water heater. Pictures of your system would help.
  • Jells
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Yes, it's a bronze pump, because it's a "potable water" system. The
    legionella risk downside to this setup has been explained, and I plan to update these to heat exchanger based systems.
  • HomerJSmith
    Options
    So, your water heater is providing domestic hot water and space heating? What is the water temperature coming out of the W/H?

If you are familiar with legionella bacteria, you know the incubation temperatures and the kill time for various temperatures. I believe in a heat exchanger between the space heating and domestic hot water as the space heating is a dead leg in the summer time when it isn't running, but it involves added components like an expansion tank and pump. But you still have the legionella potential problem in the domestic side.
  • Jells
    Options
    Yes DHW & heat, tank set to Max, measured 138 the other day on another unit.

My impression was that a proper system needed the tank side circulator running year-round for safety even when the loop side circulator is off.
  • HomerJSmith
    Options
    There is a scald potential with water at 138 deg, which can be a liability to a landlord should scalding occur. At those temperatures, point of use thermostatic tempering valve should be used where ever hot water comes in contact with people.
  • Jells
    Options
    I believe I mentioned including the mixing valve upthread! I have them everywhere. Had an argument with my current plumber who didn't think it necessary to set a 75 gal serving 4 units to hottest and use a mixer.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Are you sure the noise is coming from the circ. It sure sounds like a mixing valve noise.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Jells
    Options
    Zman said:

Are you sure the noise is coming from the circ. It sure sounds like a mixing valve noise.

The mixing valve is not in play when there's no water running, this is just the zone circulating.