Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replace 2 Main vents? One pipe steam system. 98 year old house.

Hi, this is the other house I own. It is 98 years old. There are 12 radiators total on three floors. I just discovered (the second one!) there are two main vents, both Gorton #2 (quite large!). Neither of them makes any sound at any time during the steaming process. I have owned this house for 14 years, never replaced them. Should I just go ahead and replace them?

Comments

• Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Are you having any issues with the system?
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Are they leaking or venting out steam? If not they probably work just fine. Might need cleaned. But if installed on top of a 12” pipe then little debris should get to them.

Pictures?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    If you are so inclined to take them off for cleaning, when held straight up you should be able to blow easily thru them.. then while still blowing turn them upside down....then should seal tight. The float should rattle inside when shaken.

If they were stuck shut and now open, they should of course close when steam hits them. If after cleaning they don't close, then replace.
    Higher is better for protection from debris.
  • davevarga
    davevarga Member Posts: 44
    Jughne and others, thank you so much. There is no leakage or steam getting through. They are all a few inches above the horizontal return pipe.

I will take them down and examine them as you said Jughne and determine if good or bad. Thank you all!
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Let us know how it turns out. Your system might be large enough to benefit from more than just 2 Gorton no.2s
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com