Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler timer, input needed

overheated_school
overheated_school Member Posts: 5
edited January 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
I am working with the black seals at a school to get the overheating problem under control. We went down to the boiler room and this is the timer, which as you can see is shut off. I didn't see a brand name or anything about this product. Can you guys point me to a place to read up about these?

Secondly, I am looking at a tekmar 279 outdoor reset system for this boiler system. SHould I just skip experimenting with this unit entirely and go straight to the tekmar, or is it worth seeing if I can get this activated?

Comments

• Ed N.Y.C.
    Ed N.Y.C. Member Posts: 73
    that is a 7 day tork (brand name) clock if i am correct you only have on trippers on clock i dont know what your trying to control but its doing nothing ED
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    Overheated school, How many boilers do you have? I was unable to use the Tekmar because I had three boilers and went with the Heatimer panel. It works great also.
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 849
    If memory serves me correctly, the black knobs/pointers (might be sitting inside the cover in your photo) would be the night setback "pins." The silver pins in the photo turn the system on. Assuming this timer is hooked up to the burner circuit, it may have been used as a timer to turn the burner on when the building was occupied. Typical setting might be turn the heat up at 7am and turn the heat down at say 5pm for an office building.

I've seen many of these clocks in buildings, but never tied to the burner circuit. Most times they were for outside lights, controlled the unit heaters in classrooms, controlled the overhead blowers in a greenhouse, etc.

I would not suggest operating a burner/boiler with this timer. I agree that the Tekmar makes more sense
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    IIRC those are the ON trippers, no OFF trippers (black). That's common to remove it from service but not actually do anything with it. Looks like they're sitting in the door...

Flip it off & see what happens? It'll come back as soon as the next tripper reaches the switch, ≈24 hours.

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Looks like maybe an Intermatic Timer.