Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Please take a look at this pics and advise if you suspect a piping error. Thank you.

Options
DTD
DTD Member Posts: 3

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    There's no header, the boiler feeds into the bull of a tee, and it's a general mess. What is your question?
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Kahooli
    Kahooli Member Posts: 112
    Options
    It's not ideal. Does it work? If not, what are the problems?
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    what's with all the burning on the left hand side?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Pretty bad. How long have you lived in that house? I bet you don't really know how a properly installed steam system should perform.
  • DTD
    DTD Member Posts: 3
    Options
    The actual heat output to the house is good, the combustion end is reliable, this boiler and near boiler piping have been there for 15 years, the house is a one pipe system, I don’t see any main vents, it’s a small home, radiator sizing calculations add up to 271 square feet, there is a lot of exterior oxidation and the boiler itself may have a leak. I didn’t take a pic but there is a rectangle plate on the boiler that is severely oxidized and oozing. Fresh Water quality is 1250 TDS - 39 grains hard PH is 7 - I was looking for some insight on this install and if any suggested
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    When the boiler is replaced, get a real steam Pro to do the installation and pipe it correctly. I'm sure, once it is properly installed and cleaned/skimmed, you will better understand why we all love steam heat! Sounds like some water treatment will also be in order too.
    New England SteamWorks
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    Just a guess but I would suspect the union in the riser is leaking. Looks oxidized below union but not above. Besides, without swing joints that is a difficult connection to fit and make it tight with no leaks. Unless you pick the boiler or the main up and down. WRONG

the installer couldn't read or wouldn't read
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options
    Mis-categorized.

Belongs in Heating Hell...
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Have you recently moved into the house, and wish to know what to do for the future?
    The lack of pipe insulation will certainly contribute additional wet steam above and beyond the bad piping, but since the boiler may have reached the sunset years of its life, one could say why not wait until the summer.—NBC