Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why would only one radiator be wall mounted?

ardrysda
ardrysda Member Posts: 8
Hi all, I have a 1907 Eddy vacuum steam system with a curious oddity. One, and only one, of the rococo style radiators is wall mounted, the other 15 radiators are all floor standing units. It appears that this radiator was always installed this way, but why? I guess I don't understand why a single radiator would have been installed that way, different than all the other radiators in the house. The radiator in question is in a side entrance parlor immediately adjacent to an exterior door.

Anyone want to chime in on why a radiator would have been wall mounted?

Rob

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Somebody wanted it that way so they could easily clean the floor?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    A place to put overshoes on the floor underneath?—NBC
  • ardrysda

A place to put overshoes on the floor underneath?—NBC

It isn't high enough to slide shoes under, although I have tried!
  • ardrysda

Somebody wanted it that way so they could easily clean the floor?

That makes sense, but this house was fairly high end when built- all floors are oak, with maple flooring in the maid's quarters, kitchen, and pantry- and all the other rads sit on the floor.

I do sometimes wonder if that floor was covered with tile or linoleum when the house was built, there is enough mastic and pad adhesive currently under the carpet to make a full inspection impossible.

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Is it possible that that side entrance was more or less a service entrance or the one that was commonly used, off of a driveway or closest entrance from a garage and the owners had the foresight to want to be able to mop up water/melting snow etc. without obstructions?
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    I’m guessing different floor covering. Entry level ways would have a large rug.

Maybe it’s a lot run out and they wanted it higher up for pitch.