Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old houses, old heating systems

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited January 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
Old houses, old heating systems

Dan Foley updates two heating systems in historic homes in the Washington, DC area.

Read the full story here

LanceIronman

Comments

• flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Good story. Seeing the inside and basements/cellars of historic homes was a nice perk I enjoyed while I was a telco tech.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,964
    Options
    Thanks for the stories, Dan. Yes, for those of us who revere history, working in these homes is a treat. Mad Dog
    Dan Foley
  • JMoon82
    JMoon82 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I am looking to purchase a home built in 1920, it has the old fashioned radiators and the original boiler. The boiler system has 1899 on it. Is it possible to replace the boiler? I would like to keep the radiators but am concerned about the life of the boiler, is this a true concern or am I worried about nothing? Thanks for you time.
    JoDell
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Yes keep the radiators!
    I can’t believe that the boiler could have been made in 1899, and then installed finally in a 1920 house, so it must be the patent date.
    Some pictures of the boiler, and it’s piping, along with the radiators would allow us to identify the system, and any weaknesses, which should be corrected.
    Post them in a new thread.—NBC
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Yes do post a new thread -- but also it is very simple (if you get the right people!) to replace an older boiler and keep the rest of the system. Cedric is the fourth in the main place I take care of...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Great work and good story!
    Dan Foley