Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wow New glass thermostat from Johnson Controls

Comments

• NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Yeah, looks nice... but a home thermostat powered by Microsoft?

Would you entrust your home climate control to MS? :o

How about a modern t-stat that doesn't change temp and fire up the boiler when someone walks past it, or holds off a new call for heat for at least a few min after hitting setpoint? Modern t-stats suck compared to the old mercury style stats.

GordyadambnycCLamb
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Amazing all the glamor given to thermostats now days...........it's a simple concept. Why complicate it.
  • SeymourCates
    SeymourCates Member Posts: 162
    @gordy

The reason that you complicate it is identical to the reason you complicate a clothes washer, a clothes dryer, a refrigerator, and a vacuum cleaner.

You get to charge the ignorant about $5X the price of what the item actually does for you.
    GordyNY_Robvibert_c
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    ^ and even more ironic is the fact that with more people moving towards mod-cons... there is absolutely no need for setbacks, scheduling, energy recovery, etc...
    Probably the best thermostat for a mod con would be a rock solid, slow moving, simple as hell, 50yo mercury t-stat.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Given time the t87 will be all the rage. Nest saw that......
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Try hacking into my home.....or more specifically my heating system! You'll be awhile, as in decades!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @scrook what is that thing?? Looks like a jukebox
    scrook_2
  • AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610
    I think @scrook toy looks like a Ghostbusters proton pack with a steam punk twist.
    Sharp looking t-stat. but It's better not to over complicate something that doesn't have to be.

scrook_2
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    A lot of homes on eastern L.I. have Crestron or Savant systems with iPads built into the walls so they can monitor and control the whole house from it, or their Apple device away from home.
    Gets a bit ridiculous.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    None of these controls are any smarter. They can’t determine if my steam boiler shut down and should run my heat pump or determine the economic balance points bae d in electric and gas rates, return air temps and frequency of defrost.

Heck, they rarely look at rate of change to anticipate reaching setpoint.

Ohhh but they have a motion sensor and voice commands. Wohoo. Amazing.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • I always found the "smart" t-stats funny in that on one end they are hooked up to the internet with megabits of bandwidth and complex communication protocols, on the other end they are hooked to the heat source with what amounts to a slow-speed telegraph line and "morse code" with two characters (on and off)