Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Misconfigured thermostat - anything to worry about?

Options
whitwo
whitwo Member Posts: 50
TL;DR version: I found out my thermostat controlling my single pipe steam system was misconfigured to serve a forced air furnace. Fixed now - anything I need to be worried about?

Longer version: I participated in a beta program to test a new thermostat this past Spring and Honeywell had a T6 Pro installed. Everything was great through the summer, but something felt a little off with my single pipe steam system once we cutover to heat. I did some digging and went down some rabbit trails (side note - it's what convinced me to read "We Got Steam Heat", find out that I still had original main vents and probably one sagging main line - but that's another story). I live down in NC so it's just gotten cold enough to really have a lot of heat usage I determined the boiler was cycling way to frequently. I decided to hunt down the installer manual for the thermostat and double check the settings and found that it was configured as a forced air heating system! :#

I quickly corrected that, but now I'm wondering what that may have lead to? Anything I need to get checked out?

Thanks for any advice! (first time poster).

@whitwo

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    No harm done -- except maybe to your budget. Time to start looking at some other things on your system! We're here to help.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • whitwo
    whitwo Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Whew - good to hear! Been running much smoother (and less frequent but better quality runs) since I changed it this morning.

Thanks!