Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I have no regulator before or after Gas meter?

Options
mleads310
mleads310 Member Posts: 49
To start I'm not a Plumber but am an all around handy man DIYer.I

Was thinking about upgrading my NG meter due to higher demand and noticed i do not have a regulator before or after meter? I live in nyc(Brooklyn) single family residential. Meter was recently replaced in 2014. Before i purchased home. The meter was installed by national grid and model is AC-250 MAOP 5psi 250cfh@1/2" diff. Incoming line to meter Has 1.5" (aprox) gas line with shut off valve, and then is stepped down to work 3/4" right before meter.

Had anyone seen this before?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    You're probably in a low pressure zone. Because of old piping under the streets, the pressure is kept low.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • adambnyc
    adambnyc Member Posts: 260
    Options
    Very common. I lived in Brooklyn for 30 years.
  • mleads310
    mleads310 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Thank you guys for the quick response. Most of the houses including mine were built in the 40's, so that definitely makes sense
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    You have a low pressure system. The gas pressure will typically be about 10" W.C. less than 1/2 a pound. 27.6" W.C. is equal to 1 pound pressure. Make sure National Grid can guarantee you enough pressure if you are planning to upgrade your system with more equipment or higher BTU demand. The 50 meter can handle about 250,000 BTU's.
    HVACNUT