Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Timber!

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
Here is a first. Pretty scary stuff. NOT my install but I have done some work for them. They hear a crash in the middle of the night and go down and find this .... thank God no one was hurt..... Yikes!

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,692
    did you forget something?
    known to beat dead horses
    kcoppSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    @kcopp
    Where is the punchline?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcopp
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    he dropped the ball...
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    Crazy thing is that the copper piping attached only crimped. Very little water came out...maybe a gallon. The gas piping was done all in CSST so that flexed fine. Furthermore the thing was still turned on and running when I got there....
  • Mike
    Mike Member Posts: 94
    The big guy up above, likes them. Wow.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,171
    oops. Definitely oops. I'm not impressed by the anchors that were supposed to be holding it!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • adambnyc
    adambnyc Member Posts: 260
    Glad no one was hurt. foundation walls that are below ground get damp, they just do. Add the paint and water vapor has a hard time escaping. The anchors used look like the rotted away then snapped. Probably not exterior grade anchors.

A wet foundation wall will rot screws like that in a year. I'd use stainless steel wedge anchors instead.
    Solid_Fuel_Mankcopp
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Wow!

Probably happened at 2am like everything else that falls or falses :*

That CSS gas tubing might have saved the family's lives.
    kcopp
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    those look like way-too-short cut masonry nails
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Wow! And it was still running! Nice.

I think it's time we reevaluated our concrete anchor decision making paradigm.......
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Him fall down!
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • kcopp
    It hung on the wall for 7 years. I generally build a wall and then attach the boiler to that. I was always paranoid about that happening.
    This home has two of these. (long story) The other one attached the same way.... both are going to come out shortly.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Well....i think that one "came out" already! ;)
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    Here is a "what are they thinking!"...
    The insurance company wants me to put the boiler back on the wall and "fix" it....
    I explained to the lady that I am liable if anything ever goes wrong now.... I'm not having anything to do w/ that.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    @kcopp Tell the insurance co. you will replace every component in the boiler and any damaged sheet metal. It will cost more to build a new one then too buy a new one. But it's their money.
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    I should also tell them that for me to install it I need a letter stating my waiver of any responsibility if anything should go wrong.
  • If the boiler is replaced with new, the insurance company will probably depreciate the payout by 25-40%, whereas a repair may cost them the full value.—NBC
    kcopp