Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

expansion tanks

amtrol 30 expansion tank vs radiant expansion tank any one know the difference

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    There's basically 2 types-Heating systems & potable water. Which problem are you trying to solve?
    steve
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    edited November 2017
    I think the radiant tank they made had a stainless nipple for connection maybe? Or was it a coated tank like the ThermTrol DHW tank?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    i believe it is smaller in capacity radiant zones are usually alot smaller in btu loads than normal heat loops that need the extrol 30 or larger depending on the btu load, btu load being the way to size your tank!!! and if its added to a heat loop it doesnt need another tank, i think,lol, depends on the total heat load of the system
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Expansion tanks are sized using total system water volume and total system temp differential, ie. 60F-200F. In my business there are lots of examples of thermal storage, large vessels holding water etc that must be calculated into the numbers. BTU alone is just a rule of thumb, and not really accurate. Think of a gravity system vs. fintube high temp.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Domestic Thermal expansion tank used for an radiant heat system ? Hmmm
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all