Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking For a Quote

Recently, the steam system at my house was cut out and replaced and cut out again due to severe water hammer. I am wondering how much it would cost for the piping to be redone. The boiler is a Slant Fin GXH steam boiler, and the radiators are all brand new. The house is about 20x60 and would need heating to the 2nd floor and first floor.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited August 2017
    We don't discuss pricing here, but if you click on "find a contractor in your area" at the top of the page, you will not only get the info you're looking for, you'll get the best steam guys there are.
    And no, I'm not one of them.

BTW, you win the prize for cutest handle.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    The source/s of the water hammer needs to be determined before continuing any further. The possible sources are many and varied as are the solutions.

Where are you located? even if you cannot find anyone in the 'find a contractor' section, we may be able to point you in the direction of someone who can help you.

There are many possible sources of water hammer, not all of which are readily apparent to people who are not steam heating experts.

Is this a one or two pipe system?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Did you post back in April?
    Has someone "fixed" your piping since then and you have removed it now?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    There were several recommendations and offers made for contractors on your last post, which one did you contact? Or did you not take those recommendations?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    j a_2Zman
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    @Zman, well said.
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    taking the boiler out for water hammer, thats not even close to the real issue, sounds like a plumber installed it and is trying to save face, so sorry for your loss, i would recommend getting a real steamer over there ASAP to stop the pain and suffering
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    edited August 2017
    water hammer is usually caused by trapped water in your pipes, check to see if some pipes sagged over the years, you might find the hammer disappear
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"