Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nobel Combi install

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
I upgraded the system at my place this weekend. This is a 110,00 fire tube combi. Dhw is via a plate HX inside the unit. 10-1 turn down a smooth quiet running combi.

The 6 gallon tank is a sep and a small buffer. I added a 240V 4.5 KW element for dual fuel, as I have run out of LP a few times over the years.

I have a solar pre-heat tank so plenty of DHW and the unit does not fire when the solar tanks sends 120F over to the boiler.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
Harvey RamerkcoppJUGHNE

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    Is this for your home or your shop? You have described that buffer tank piping before... I am having a hard time seeing how the water flow gets in the tank. As ME has always said "water is dumb & lazy".
  • hot_rod
    The short, fat section of piping at the tank is the key. I used 1-1/4 for that as it becomes the hydraulic separation. Size that for around 2 fps, less if possible.

A bit of a gamble on this as the tank has 3/4 ports which I increased right away.

I have run it two days now as just DHW and the piping to the manifold is staying cold. I'll know better when there is heating loads also. I only have about a 40,000 BTU/hr load on the home.

Basically each direction sees only the flow required, I've run a large version of this on a 500 gallon buffer tank in my shop. Headers were 3" for solar, wood and LP input. It has worked exactly as planned I have Quicksetters on every connection so I can see flows on every branch.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    kcopp
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    hot rod,

what do you think of the Nobel, I like the design, I like Lochinvar, I really like the price point, but haven't been able to walk away from the no headaches, problem free NTI Tx151c

Tom
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • hot_rod
    Tom said:

hot rod,

what do you think of the Nobel, I like the design, I like Lochinvar, I really like the price point, but haven't been able to walk away from the no headaches, problem free NTI Tx151c

Tom

So far so good with the Nobel, check back in a couple years. I like the US built HX and other components. It has a unique DHW module, looks Italian. I've always has great interaction with Lochinvar, support is as important as the product.

I see all the smaller boiler brands are being acquired or merged both NTI and now HTP are partially owned by the giant Ariston. Hopefully they allow the companies to thrive and respond to the US market, not the European way of doing business, which doesn't always go so well on this side of the pond.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • kcopp
    HR... who makes that wall bracket for your extrol tank please? Holdrite makes a nice clamp set up but that is a step up.
    ty
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    Like it. And no propress
  • hot_rod
    kcopp said:

HR... who makes that wall bracket for your extrol tank please? Holdrite makes a nice clamp set up but that is a step up.
    ty

A couple nice brackets we have in the Euro market. The check valve on the expansion tank is nice for service or checking the pre-charge.

I was able to re tap the brass one to NPT.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • kcopp
    Thanks for the reply... So not available in the US market? You have shown other type before....no?
  • hot_rod
    kcopp said:

Thanks for the reply... So not available in the US market? You have shown other type before....no?

I have seen some welded steel versions of those mounting arms.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    kcopp