Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vent Rite Vent #1

Options
I recently bought 12 new Vent Rite #1's for my radiators to replace the 12 I bought 20 years ago. When installing, I could hear them "catching" the threads....when I backed them out, they were turned 90 degrees or upside down and appeared in some cases to actually block flow from the vent. I also noticed the tongues are slightly wider that the originals.
I have a 1 year old Burnham PIN6 with an insulated dropped header (pretty dry steam).....any opinions if it would be ok just to remove the tongues? (Happened on 6 out of the 12)
Thanks

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    You don't want to remove the tongues. That tongue allows the condensate that accumulates in the vent to drip back into the radiator. You can clip them back a little but make sure the tongue still drips past the bottom of the vent. Your best bet is to wrap the threads of the vent with a couple wraps of teflon tape. That will tighten up the connection to the radiator and prevent the tongue from going as far into the radiator.
  • steaminboston
    steaminboston Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Ok thanks Fred...I did use teflon tape and thought about slightly trimming the edges to make them slightly skinnier or like you said, trim the end...not sure why they widened them...suppose I could also use the old tongues from the existing ones too
    Thanks