Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A coil

lchmb
lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
anyone ever had an A coil make a whirring sound? Had one that's been installed a couple years now and the homeowner say's it's started whirring... I'm going to look at it tomorrow but have never heard of this before...

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Anything is possible I guess, but more likely it's something else. Loose insulation, air escaping from the cabinet or duct. Is it that loud that they hear it in the living space?
  • lchmb
    word is they hear it throughout the house. A service tech did an annual on the unit and said it wasnt the blower unit so guess I'll go take a listen...
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,177
    Wonder what piece of paper got caught in it -- and how? :)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • lchmb
    actually sounds like it's the motor. On med high it has zero noise. Turn it to hi speed and it starts to howl... Checked the fan blades and they are all clean. I'll replace the motor next week..
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    What's your static pressure. Specifically the return side?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Different problem but related. Co I used to work for someone got he bright idea to put the duct stickers (the ones showing measurements etc.) on the inside of the ducts.

All was well until they came loose and the pieces were ratteling around inside the diffusers
  • lchmb
    I honestly didnt measure my pressures. With the door off I could hear it coming from the motor.. Seems the customer had the same issue last summer but has never had an issue with heat.