Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham PIN-4 drop header

AMservices
AMservices Member Posts: 610
Nothing crazy going on here. Just wanted to share with the people that care.

HVACNUTChrisJLionA29Paul S_3StuckWithSteamb_bz

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Nuthing crazy except it's perfect!! Guy that piped this knows what he's doing. Nuthing else to say
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Nice job! That'll dry some steam :)
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Beauty. Looks like a space ship compared to the old one... One q: any reason you didn't use sch40 for safety valve run to floor?
  • AMservices
    > @MilanD said:
    > Beauty. Looks like a space ship compared to the old one... One q: any reason you didn't use sch40 for safety valve run to floor?

Code requires it to be copper.
    Reason for that is if there was a steady drip from the valve and the pipe is steel, it could potentially rust closed.
    Never seen one that bad, but I would never pass inspection if it was black.

Thank you guys for the complements.
    MilanDCanuckerj a_2
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    edited August 2017
    > @AMservices said:
    > > @MilanD said:
    > > Beauty. Looks like a space ship compared to the old one... One q: any reason you didn't use sch40 for safety valve run to floor?
    >
    > Code requires it to be copper.
    > Reason for that is if there was a steady drip from the valve and the pipe is steel, it could potentially rust closed.
    > Never seen one that bad, but I would never pass inspection if it was black.
    >
    > Thank you guys for the complements.
    >

In OH, black iron is fine, at least on the commercial, if I'm not mistaken.

Beautiful job!!
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Beautiful install @AMservices
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • AMservices
    Thank you @EzzyT
    Especially for being one of the great steam guy that goes the extra mile, 2 staging your steam systems.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    Close, but no skim tapping! :lol: Looks great @AMservices! FYI, I've been getting the plugs out with a 30mm socket.
    LionA29New England SteamWorks
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    Nice work @AMservices
  • AMservices

Close, but no skim tapping! :lol: Looks great @AMservices! FYI, I've been getting the plugs out with a 30mm socket.

You got me.
    What you don't see in the pictures is me heating the water up, draining it down, letting it cool, filling it back up and repeating 5 times, to get the water to stop surging.
    Ever look inside the boiler block? All the metal shavings from the factory drilling and tapping. There must have been 1-1/2" of rusty metal sediment in the bottom. I stuck a vacuum in from the top and got a lot out.
    Now that you mention the skin tapping, I guess I'll need to go and put a funnel somewhere to add my Steam Clean.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    > @AMservices said:
    > Close, but no skim tapping! :lol: Looks great @AMservices! FYI, I've been getting the plugs out with a 30mm socket.
    >
    > You got me.
    > What you don't see in the pictures is me heating the water up, draining it down, letting it cool, filling it back up and repeating 5 times, to get the water to stop surging.
    > Ever look inside the boiler block? All the metal shavings from the factory drilling and tapping. There must have been 1-1/2" of rusty metal sediment in the bottom. I stuck a vacuum in from the top and got a lot out.
    > Now that you mention the skin tapping, I guess I'll need to go and put a funnel somewhere to add my Steam Clean.
    >
    >
    >> At the pressurtrol, can you change the elbow to a tee with a nip and cap?
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Maybe there's nothing crazy going on, but it sure looks pretty! Nice work.

That inaccessible skim tapping is why I never use that Burnham PIN boiler. That, and it's prone to early block corrosion.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Dave0176
  • AMservices
    @HVACNUT At the pressurtrol, can you change the elbow to a tee with a nip and cap?

I thought of it. I didn't do it because the factory was kind enough to give me the elbow and pigtail. Plus, I kind of like the pigtail, it makes people think **** is that?

It's a lame excuse for not doing something that I know is better for service and protection of the control.
    I'll change it when I go back.

So who's going to call me out for not using an inch and a 1-1/2 "y" fitting and a street 45 on my Gifford Loop?
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801

Maybe there's nothing crazy going on, but it sure looks pretty! Nice work.

That inaccessible skim tapping is why I never use that Burnham PIN boiler. That, and it's prone to early block corrosion.

I think the block corrosion thing is related to the installed units near boiler environment...I was very fond to the peerless steam boiler, but in my days as a Grid installer I converted many a houses to gas and used the PIN without block issues...there is a knock out for the skim tapping that if removed prior to use, as it should be,comes out fairly easy...
  • AMservices

Just finished another PIN 4. This one is equipped with a power Venter and Fan in can.
    Figured I'd just add it to the last Burnham post I did.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Very tite install @AMservices question do you prefer the malleable fittings over the cast iron or are they easier for you to get, because my supplier carries a ton of cast.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Looks amazing!
  • Danny Scully
    Stop skipping the skim tapping @AMservices! :wink:
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Hummmmm, I didn't notice that!
  • AMservices
    > @Danny Scully said:
    > Stop skipping the skim tapping @AMservices! :wink:

It's coming for both of them.
    I have my breaker bar ready for when I'm going back to skim. Still need to get a 30 mm socket.

I did go back to the one from the original post and took out the pig tail.
    I promise, the skim tap will be used.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.
  • AMservices
    > @Dave0176 said:
    > Very tite install @AMservices question do you prefer the malleable fittings over the cast iron or are they easier for you to get, because my supplier carries a ton of cast.

I prefer malleable fittings. The wrenches fit around them better because of the smaller hub. There stronger and
    Cast is more expensive.
    I see less cast where I go
  • I think it looks very nice. Except for the missing skim tapping. And curious minds would love a peek at the main venting...
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • AMservices

The main vents are there. It's a small system with 2 short mains. Only a vent rite #35 and #75. I put them back there so when the day comes that they start to spit, they won't spit on my controls.
    Not as impressive as the master vent work you get show @New England SteamWorks . Didn't even think to take a pic.
    I get jealous looking at the system's you bring to the forum.
    The skim tapping will be used. I promise the next job I do, it will be the first pipe I screw into the block.
  • AMservices

Here you go @Danny Scully
    Just got back to this one today. Had a nice, relaxing Saturday morning cleaning one of my steam systems.

• Danny Scully
    Proud of you @AMservices! Now slow that flow down a bit :lol:
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Looks clean enough to drink
  • NTL1991
    NTL1991 Member Posts: 103
    Excellent work. Hope you don't mind if I save these in my Model Installations folder...

It's refreshing to see the backflow preventer piped with the vent to the floor. I'm used to seeing them piped with a plug!
    Nick, Cranston, RI
    AMservices
  • AMservices
    @NTL1991 absoulty You may use these pictures for your folder. Typically I see them dripping all over everything underneath the vent, without a plug. Somebody that cheaps out on the "drips" shows they don't care about what there installing.
    Even if they know the homeowner doesn't know any better or they know that the inspector isn't going to notice.
    Have a good day!
    NTL1991