Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

VAN CONVERSION

SeanBeans
SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
Hello all!

Was hoping aomeone could help with a different question than usual.

I am converting a 2002 dodge ram van wagon into a liveable space..

Me and my wife will have a shower, bathroom, cooktop, sink, woodburning stove, sofas and a overhead loft to sleep.

I have to insulate it. And we will be spending our first stint in the great Jackson Hole, Wyoming. (Ski bums)

Okay so the real question is, whay is the design temp for Jackson, WY? What R-Value will i need to insulste my van?

Comments

• SeanBeans
    edited July 2017
    The wood burning stove ranges from 6k to 14k btu/hr
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Sounds wonderful! You're going to have a lot of fun with that!

You have about 600 square feet of wall -- 2 inches of fiberglass would give you about R 5, which will be ample with that stove. At 0 outside, I'd figure on about 8,000 BTU/hr loss. Of course the glass is more, but that should do, more or less.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SeanBeans
    We are constructing a wall between the living area and the cockpit, so that our heat isnt lost thru the windshield and driverside and passenger side winows.. all other windows are going to tinted black and covered with insulation
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    I guess I'm becoming an old fart, but I really don't like the idea of the woodstove.
    MilanD
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Paul48 said:

I guess I'm becoming an old fart, but I really don't like the idea of the woodstove.

lol...I don't like any idea of sleeping in a van.
    steve
    MilanD
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022

Sounds wonderful! You're going to have a lot of fun with that!

You have about 600 square feet of wall -- 2 inches of fiberglass would give you about R 5, which will be ample with that stove. At 0 outside, I'd figure on about 8,000 BTU/hr loss. Of course the glass is more, but that should do, more or less.

I'd ditch the wood stove also, too much floor space for little benefit, plus venting and combustion air and the mess. possible a RV pellet stove?

There are some combo heat dhw units built for RV alsoe

Spray foam is great for vans, tightens up all the leaks and squeaks.

Some clever van conversions pass through the www.tinyhometalk website.

http://tinyhousetalk.com/womans-home-built-van-conversion/
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > lol...I don't like any idea of sleeping in a van.

>> down by the river.
    kcoppicy78
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Here is a link to a person who did this w his Ram Promaster/ Sprinter.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Vehicles/PMRV/PMRV.htm

• SeanBeans
    There is a wood burning stove that can be mounted on the wall.. has an enclosure amd mounting brackets.
  • hot_rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Next you're going to be telling us you bet you can throw a foot ball over those mountains. ;)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Canucker
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    edited August 2017
    HVACNUT said:

> lol...I don't like any idea of sleeping in a van.

>> down by the river.

Like Matt Foley?

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited August 2017
    > @flat_twin said:
    > > lol...I don't like any idea of sleeping in a van.
    >
    >
    >
    > >> down by the river.
    >
    > Like Matt Foley?>
    >
    >
    >Yes. Fat man in a little coat.
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Look into the Espar heater. It's diesel however on the smallest model you could burn through about a half gallon of fuel in a 24hr period. With the ability to use a thermostat, you won't have to deal with under/over heating the small space.
    :NYplumber:
  • hot_rod
    These heaters diesel or gasoline, are commonly used as Rv heaters, either heating the engine coolant, or stand alone for radiant of hydronic, or forced air versions.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I recently helped a friend of mine with a sprinter conversion and have done lots of mods on campers and RVs.

The part that is often overlooked is the electrical requirements of diesel or propane heaters. Your battery decisions become important as well. Lead acids are cheaper but need to be mounted outside of the rig. In cold conditions they lose half their capacity.

My buddies rig has gel batteries mounted inside, a diesel heater and fridge, and a roof full of solar panels. He was very meticulous about the math and the thing runs great in the winter.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Put a CO detector in there.