Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing 40 yr old gas boiler

vandelaycorr
vandelaycorr Member Posts: 7
I have tried to read many posts and follow the "rules" here- this is a great site. I will be contacting contractors from your site but there are only a few in my area. My questions are:
  1. What is the minimum number of quotes I should get?
  2. With rebates the high efficiency modcons will need to be in play but I am concerned about the breakdown of new technology. Should I be?
  3. How much lead time should I plan from quotes to finish. I live in Massachusetts so was looking to have install at end of summer.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I'd get 3 quotes, much more than that and it's info overload resulting in paralysis.
    Guys that do load calcs are the ones to know better.

Listen to the mod con guys about what's holding up for them, regionally/brand. I would not let "new" technology deter or influence the choice between a modcon vs. Stone age. There's some good stuff out there. Lot of benefits going modcon, if you read past posts, you should get the gist.

I'm generally 2 weeks out from accepted contract to job start. YMMV.
    vandelaycorr
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    1. 3 quotes from qualified installers
    2. Yes, the verdict is still out on mod-con long term their not going to last 50--60 years like some of the old stuff and with new technology we don't want them to last that long. But, they have been around long enough to establish a proven track record with good maintenance and with good water quality control.
    3. Depends. The best are busy all the time, you may have to wait for a good contractor. They guy who can start tomorrow you probably don't want.

Where are you located in MA?
    Bob Bona_4vandelaycorr
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Popular in the Boston area are the Burnham Alpine, the Rinnai q series and the e series...for high efficiency....For up the chimney, again its the Burnham series 2, and the peerless cast iron boilers...
    All have a great track record, simple to service,and parts are readily available...Post some details of your system, as well as the condition of your chimney....Stick with a very local company, suitcase guys are sketchy
    vandelaycorr
  • gschallert
    gschallert Member Posts: 170

My questions are:

• What is the minimum number of quotes I should get?
      I got three last year when I replaced my 50 year old boiler
    • With rebates the high efficiency modcons will need to be in play but I am concerned about the breakdown of new technology. Should I be?
      No. Plenty of reputable modcon mfg's with excellent service track records
    • How much lead time should I plan from quotes to finish. I live in Massachusetts so was looking to have install at end of summer.
      Thanks!
      The sooner you start the better. Personally if I were you I would have been getting quotes in May. Gathering info & heat loss and checking references takes time and the closer you get to heating season the busier pros get with annual service and start ups for regular customers.
    vandelaycorr
  • vandelaycorr
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for all the comments.

My chimney was inspected last year and had a stainless steel liner installed- my in-law sent them to my door so not sure if I needed it or not (or how good the install was) :s

I live near Norwood, MA; any recommendations for install are welcome.

The furnace is two zones, with two thermostats. No zone control valves or anything special that I can see with 2 circulator pumps. Had some clowns "repair" it when I had a simple air lock and realized I didn't want to spend any more money on it due to it's age and inefficiency. They put in some new purge valves and never opened them! I found this myself after he left. Told them to never come back again and don't send me a bill! There is much more to the story but I will stop there.
    MilanD
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    If you do go with a mod-con... look into HTP Products.
    They're located in New Bedford, MA... about 40mi from you.

Good products... and very close to you!
    vandelaycorrj a_2
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Take a look at the Lochinvar Noble combi boiler.
    95% AFUE when running low water temps and boiler is condensing. SS Fire Tube heat exchanger, 10-1 turn down, domestic hot water priority. This unit delivers domestic hot water. It can be vented up the chimney with a Innoflue flexiable plastic chimney liner kit or side wall with Innoflue hard plastic pipe. Also vents with PVC / CPVC and SS vent pipe but I do not think your state approves venting with PVC / CPVC.

If your heating system will not let the boiler run at low supply water temps look at the Weil McLain GV90+ 90% AFUE Cast Iron boiler that now can be vented with Innoflue vent pipe. Use a indirect water heater with this boiler like the Purepro IDWH.

Or look at the Advantage gas cast iron boiler 85% or 84% AFUE (F W Webb private label boiler sold to heating professionals only). The 84% boiler is chimney vented. Should line your old chimney. The 85% boiler can be side wall vented with SS vent pipe. Add a indirect water heater like a Purepro IDWH and you will have a great system.

Burnham Alpine and their K2 Fire Tube boilers are good and so is the HTP boilers.

Contact a local heating contractor and they can get their cost from F W Webb so they can bid the boiler job to you.
  • vandelaycorr
    Thanks Bob. I have a one year old Rheem HWH so I don't need the combi (unless it would save me money overall). To get the maximum rebate I need 95 % AFUE . I searched Lochinvar contractors in my zip code and there are only two.

That's two votes for both HTP and Burnham; one for Rinnai
  • j a_2
    HTP is as well a great product....Don't chase rebates, chase comfort and reliability...Try Heller plumbing, I know he is out of Dedham, Ma.
    vandelaycorr
  • vandelaycorr
    I assume you mean Hellas Plumbing, thanks
  • bob eck
    You can install the Lochinvar Combi boiler and connect the domestic hot water at a later date when your tank type water heater fails.
  • vandelaycorr
    bob eck said:

You can install the Lochinvar Combi boiler and connect the domestic hot water at a later date when your tank type water heater fails.

There aren't many Locinvar contractors in my area. Thanks for the combi tip
  • vandelaycorr
    bob eck said:

Take a look at the Lochinvar Noble combi boiler.

95% AFUE when running low water temps and boiler is condensing. SS Fire Tube heat exchanger, 10-1 turn down, domestic hot water priority. This unit delivers domestic hot water. It can be vented up the chimney with a Innoflue flexiable plastic chimney liner kit or side wall with Innoflue hard plastic pipe. Also vents with PVC / CPVC and SS vent pipe but I do not think your state approves venting with PVC / CPVC.

If your heating system will not let the boiler run at low supply water temps look at the Weil McLain GV90+ 90% AFUE Cast Iron boiler that now can be vented with Innoflue vent pipe. Use a indirect water heater with this boiler like the Purepro IDWH.

Or look at the Advantage gas cast iron boiler 85% or 84% AFUE (F W Webb private label boiler sold to heating professionals only). The 84% boiler is chimney vented. Should line your old chimney. The 85% boiler can be side wall vented with SS vent pipe. Add a indirect water heater like a Purepro IDWH and you will have a great system.

Burnham Alpine and their K2 Fire Tube boilers are good and so is the HTP boilers.

Contact a local heating contractor and they can get their cost from F W Webb so they can bid the boiler job to you.

Do I mention

Thanks for all the comments.

My chimney was inspected last year and had a stainless steel liner installed- my in-law sent them to my door so not sure if I needed it or not (or how good the install was) :s

I live near Norwood, MA; any recommendations for install are welcome.

The furnace is two zones, with two thermostats. No zone control valves or anything special that I can see with 2 circulator pumps. Had some clowns "repair" it when I had a simple air lock and realized I didn't want to spend any more money on it due to it's age and inefficiency. They put in some new purge valves and never opened them! I found this myself after he left. Told them to never come back again and don't send me a bill! There is much more to the story but I will stop there.

Should I ask about load calc or see if they bring it up? I had a past quote from somebody who advertises here with NO manual J (or other methods).
  • bob eck
    You live in Massachusetts and there are F W Webb branches all over Mass you can call one of their stores and they can recommend a heating contractor that installs Lochinvar.
    Grallert
  • j a_2

I assume you mean Hellas Plumbing, thanks

Yes I did....
  • vandelaycorr
    I wanted to give an update- called 3 different installers and only got one firm estimate date. Called a fourth and still only one. Seems like the smaller shops (some recommended here) do not even have an answering service/admin. If I can't even get an estimate what can I expect when I have an emergency?

Also some installers do not offer free estimates- I understand their time is valuable but so is mine. Thoughts? Thanks!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,176
    Free estimates? Keep in mind that you will get exactly what you paid for.

And in most cases I've heard of, if you have an established relationship with a competent outfit -- like they installed the system -- they will be pretty quick on an emergency.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    vandelaycorrj a_2
  • Wardo
    Wardo Member Posts: 8
    For gas condensing boiler, you could consider Bosch

http://boschprohvac.com/locator/

I have a Triangle Tube / ACV combi boiler & it works well. The installing contractor is as important or more important than the brand in most cases.
    vandelaycorrj a_2
  • j a_2
    Wardo said:

For gas condensing boiler, you could consider Bosch

http://boschprohvac.com/locator/

I have a Triangle Tube / ACV combi boiler & it works well. The installing contractor is as important or more important than the brand in most cases.

Yes I totally agree...