Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is there a need for a High Pressure Steam Boiler Book?

RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
I have an opportunity of collaborating with a retired high pressure steam boiler expert to write a book on high pressure boilers. He has lots of research and wanted to write the book but his health took a bad turn. He asked if I could write the book. Is there a need for a book on high pressure steam boilers? If so, what would you like to see covered?
Thank you so much for your feedback.
Ray
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610
    Co generation. I want to know how to make a power plant out of my heating system.
    Can I have everything in my home powered and heated with steam?
    How economical and efficient can it be?
    What are all the losses?
    How people did it in the past, how is it done today?
    what components are found is these high pressure steam systems that can't be found anywhere else?
    What problems do people have with them and what problems have they overcome?
    What are the most common application and where can it never be replaced?
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Hi Ray,
    I'd like a book on municipal steam. Specifically NYC's Con Ed service. But that's just me.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    I used to work for a company that had a lot of clothing cleaner accounts. Fulton high pressure, 100 psi. I refused to work on them without proper training. They sent me to the Fulton facility in Pulaski NY for 4 day training. School, hands on, and a ton of manuals. The instructor told stories of vessels taking off like rockets and landing 2 blocks away. Out of 30+ in the company, I was the only one to take the class. A lot of guys who weren't real experienced in low pressure steam were working on Fultons. In your book, I would stress safety.
  • RayWohlfarth
    Thank you everyone. You guys are the best! I will be working on an outline and will share it in a few weeks. AM, I wasn't thinking of going into history but thats a cool take. John I will look into Con Ed. HVAC Nut Thats a great point I will definitely include safety
    Ray
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    fusionman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Water treatment
    Diaireators
    Required boiler inspections
    blowdown piping and valves required
    steam header piping, multiple boilers, single boilers. non-return valves or stop and check valve with drain in between

ASME piping up to the boiler valves

I think you got your hands full Ray!!

Would be a fun project though.

There is not a lot of information on this available, at least not in one place.

Would be good if it could be puled together in one book.

Good Luck

fusionman
  • RayWohlfarth
    EBEBRATT wow This could be bigger than Dan's new book. Thanks for the input
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    fusionman
  • fusionman
    fusionman Member Posts: 4
    It would be nice to also have industrial applications, exchangers, converters & equipment
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    No pressure!........You just want it to be the industry standard. The one everyone points to as the book to have. :smile:
  • RayWohlfarth
    Thanks Fusion Man.
    Paul thanks for the high bar LOL
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Pat K
    Pat K Member Posts: 88
    A high pressure steam book now is great timing. A lot of the operators are getting old and retiring. The Navy used to be a huge source of HPS folk but there are almost no more conventional steam ships left . There will be a lot of HPS steam plants around needing trained youngins.
    Have you hugged your Boiler today?
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    The importance of having dedicated condensate return lines for different steam pressures!
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    Henry said:

The importance of having dedicated condensate return lines for different steam pressures!

ditto. There's so much to consider concerning condensate handling and feed water treatment. That's why steam to steam generators can be more sensible than pressure reducing stations,for example. Or why some operators just blow the condensate altogether.

• SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    edited July 2017
    It would be nice to have a section in heatinghelp.com dedicated to hps.

And yes, a book is needed. I love working in my boiler room but I moved up. I cant seem to find anyone who loves the work. It is easy enough to train people but they avoid the place as if it were Hades. To make matters worse, the dont have the cxuriosity to see were the steam goes. They just do blowdowns, safety checks then book!

At least I will be able to give them a book to read. Or ask if they have read the book during the interview.
  • RayWohlfarth
    Thanks for all the great comments. I will let you know how the research goes
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons