Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco Zone Valve and Control Help

carlg
carlg Member Posts: 12
I just installed a Taco Zone Valve controller. I have (2) of the older 3-wire zone valves and 1 of the newer Zone Sentry 4-wire valves. For some reason neither of the 2 older valves will open when used with the zone valve controller. The new 4-wire valve opens and closes perfectly fine. The light on the control says that the valve is open for those 2 zones, but they are not.

The wiring was very simple, 1 on valve to 1 on controller, 2 on valve to 2 on controller, 3 on valve to 3 on controller.

What could I be missing here?

Thanks

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Are the LED lights off when there's no call for heat? Dip switch set to normal, not reset? Call Taco. They're support is pretty good.
  • carlg
    carlg Member Posts: 12
    Guys, thanks. Put this question on hold a bit. I turned off power and powered back up and I am getting different results.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    I can't remember an three wire taco zone valve ?
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited June 2017
    > @Big Ed said:
    > I can't remember an three wire taco zone valve ?

>> ahh, to be young again.
    They're out there. Still used on GEO systems.
    They are slow open and close, heater activated, no springs. 1 & 2 get 24v. and 2 & 3 is the end switch.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    edited July 2017
    The traditional heat motor zone valves take approximately 1.5 min to open, and the zone sentry open within a couple seconds. Sounds like they’re wired correctly, so perhaps you need to wait a little longer for the valve to open. Incidentally, they are slow closing too; approx.. 30 sec
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    Steve Thompson (Taco)