Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Street 90 vs close nipple

SeanBeans
SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
Does anyone here use street 90s instead of a close nipple at the hartford loop connection? If so, why?

Does anyone NEVER use a street 90 at the HL, and why?

This may seem like a unimportant question but i would like to see the true steam pros opinions..

Thanks

Comments

• AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610
    Street 90 is better. 1 less connection to fail.
    Other then that, your over thinking it. No difference in operation.
    Try a Gifford loop next time.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    A Y + a 45 is even better.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Long Beach Ed
  • AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610
    Ironman said:

A Y + a 45 is even better.

He's right
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 177
    Since the issue is water hammer from one end of the fitting to the other, the difference is minimal. There has to be a difference to make a difference. I've never had a problem with a close nipple and a 90°.
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    An 1 1/4 street 90s ID is equal to a 1 inch nipples ID..

No issue with choking the hartford loop down to a smaller donomination?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I hate street elbows and won't use them unless there is no other choice. Same for bushings they are not the best choice, but sometimes necessary and ok for low pressure work.

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    I always use street fittings for the Hartford Loop. Street fittings are much thicker than nipples and seem less likely to corrode.
    MilanD
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Wyes are best....not a fan of street fittings...Tradition calls for cast iron...on steamers
  • Danny Scully
    They make cast iron unions @j a? :lol:
  • j a_2

They make cast iron unions @j a? :lol:

Good question. What's your thoughts on that?....
  • j a_2

I always use street fittings for the Hartford Loop. Street fittings are much thicker than nipples and seem less likely to corrode.

Thicker meaning schedule 40 or 80?
  • Danny Scully
    @j a, I'm not sure if it's actually schedule 80 but the wall is just visually thicker. And as for the union, I was just busting chops. I really have no issue using malleable fittings on steam. I just like to stay consistent throughout and install. In others words, either all cast or all malleable...but always a street 90 on the Hartford :wink:
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    I like using the close nipple , just because its easier to tighten an el over an street .. Its hard enough grabbing the cast ..

Just thinking.... I like the look of cast , nice that you can crack them . But today with sawzals , it's no big deal as it was 100 years ago ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I don't like cast iron. Too many times the wrench slips even with new sharp jaws.

No cast Iron unions, couplings, street elbows or caps

on the other hand no malleable eccentric couplings, plugs are usually cast Iron although steel is available

So the conumdrum, use a street elbow on the Hartford Loop....but it's not cast iron

LOL
  • j a_2
    Ah what the hell, use copper.....lol.....Any way what does the good book suggest, I think I remember cast iron...But best not to use cast iron on the gas...it can get real ugly real fast...