Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repiping Cast Radiators with Manifold System

mikestooneat
mikestooneat Member Posts: 12
Original piping is removed. Any tips on sizing mains going to manifolds and runouts to radiators.
6 Zones with mix of radiators and fin tube.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    What's the heatloss?
    1" will prob work fine.... 1/2" run outs to each radiator.
    Just so you know fin tube and CI rads have different heating characteristics.... you may be unbalanced.
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    do a heat loss calc, then youll know what to pipe where and to what radiator, draw it out on paper to help with install
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
    Canucker
  • mikestooneat
    Have heat calc for each room. 1735 stone house renovation.
    largest zone is 5 radiators with 1 fin tube for hallway and 2 kickspace heaters for kitchen. 11/4 to that manifold. Other manifolds are a mix of radiators,fin tube,kick space or towel warmers. Going 1in for those off of 2in primary and 2in distribution.
    I guess my concern is what GPM does a 5-6 section radiator need?
  • mikestooneat
    Thank you Paul 48. I have EDR book for btu's per radiator and with gph formula should be good to go. Thought flow rate would have have to be greater.
  • kcopp
    edited June 2017
    How many sq feet it the home? 1 1 /4" copper is around 140k btu...
    They may be over sized w/ is not a bad thing as you can run lower water temps.
  • mikestooneat
    kcoop. 5000sqft Living space give or take print was sketchy on dimensions.As stated in previous post stone house with 3ft walls.
    Didn't get much input from builder. Taco heat loss calc tells me 192,000. But but I am assuming more. twin 134.000 Triangle tube with 6 zones and 80gal smart tank.
  • kcopp
    missed the previous post....
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    your GPM is based on how many BTU's you have, doesnt matter the size of radiator, 120,000 btu = 12 gpm, 100,000 btu= 10gpm
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
    Canucker
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Are you using the smart tank as a buffer, or hot water? If you have 6 zones, all calling for different temperatures, on a slightly chilly day, then you may have a lot of boiler short cycling, and a buffer would compensate for that.--NBC
  • mikestooneat
    I am using Smart tank for DHW. Am not using a buffer tank.