Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Rated copper tube heat emitt, would it work?

JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
Wouldn't this be nice as a corner radiator?
Found it a couple days ago.
It handled steam very well.

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    edited June 2017
    No I don't think it would work and you should immediately send it to me for your own safety, as copper is known to cause cancer in the state of California...:lol:
    HVACNUTCanuckerkcopp
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    cool looking radiator,
    everything causes cancer in california,lol
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722

No I don't think it would work and you should immediately send it to me for your own safety, as copper is known to cause cancer in the state of California...:lol:

No @JUGHNE , I don't think @Danny Scully has your best interests in mind. You should send that to me until you sort it out. I promise to take good care of it :wink:
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
    Danny Scully
  • JUGHNE
    I see a lot of interest in this. Any idea of EDR or do I need to get the paint vat out again? ;)
    How about who made it?
    :)>:)
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    What do you mean it "handled" steam very well?

Why isn't it handling it anymore?

HMMMMMM?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    Well EarnieJ, it is the middle of June for one thing. Even your steamer is off.
    Full disclosure and confession to follow within days.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Looks like a tube bundle from hx
    ChrisJCanucker
  • JUGHNE
    Good eye ED. It came out of a 365 gallon tank that could deliver 450 GPH of hot water at a 100 degree rise. 5 PSI steam applied thru control valve. Maybe the second one in 40 years of constant use (same tank).

I thought of saving the flanges, but one was welded as part of the tank and the one with the inlet/outlet had 2 1/2" pipes in it (40 YO). If connectable it would have made a great HW rad or a real but burner if connected to steam. Very heavy.

In my confession to the steam world I hope to justify it's removal.
    ChrisJCanucker
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    LOL it looks good, but @$2.20/lb it would be better in my pocket.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    We had one fail a few years ago. About the biggest one I have ever seen in a water treatment plant. The boilers were steam because they used it for process and the building was heated by hot water.

The condensate tank was overflowing with water because the hx had failed.

The shell on this thing was 20" in diameter and probably 10' long and was built by a mfg no longer in business.

We removed the complete hx as a unit and sent it to an ASME repair shop in Connecticut. They pulled the bundle, made a new one and installed it in the shell and we reinstalled it.

Unfortunately we didn't get the scrap on that one either!!