Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Manual reset high limit tripping

Options
Dan C.
Dan C. Member Posts: 248
I am trying to figure out a problem at a hotel I service. The domestic water system has two Raypak 625,000 btu copper fin boilers and 3 100 gallon storage tanks. Starting this week the manual reset high limits on both boilers are tripping intermittenty. I was there for anout two hours yesterday and everything seems to be working normal. They had no hot water again today and had to reset them. What could cause this to happen periodically?

Comments

• Dan C.
    Dan C. Member Posts: 248
    Options
    One of the boilers does have a bad flow switch that needs to be replaced but the pump is working.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    When was the last time the heat exchanger tubes were cleaned?
    Ironman
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 855
    Options
    In my experience manual reset aquastats only trip for two reasons. 1. The operating aquastat has failed (very rare).
    2. In your case there is lack of flow. Often caused by a bad circulator or a partially clogged heat exchanger.

I have seen flow switches fail, but often this is the result of the bellows leaking, not lack of flow. I suspect the flow switch needing replacement is related to a clogged heat exchanger.
    IronmanSolid_Fuel_Man
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    raypack's are very touchy with regard to flow. Just saying the pump is running doesn't mean much. Those boilers don't hold much water so flow is everything
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I agree with the above comments about flow.
    Sometimes the temp spike happens when the boiler and the circ turn off. It is pretty common for a boiler like that to have a post purge relay on the circulator to lets the boiler run after the burner has shut off. I would check that as well.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Solid_Fuel_Man