Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Die electric pipe flanges for 2 1/2" copper X IPS, Need help.

JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
I have to connect smaller copper to 2 1/2". There is a 4 bolt pipe flange I first thought was threaded on both sides. Hiding under the insulation on the copper side is a solder joint tailpiece coming out of the flange. The other flange is MPT with galv pipe screwed into it. A supplier described these as die electric pipe flanges. I need to reduce one to 2" and another to 1 1/2".

I was hoping to reuse the copper side of the flange connection as the pipe will probably be dribbling water as the flow would be held back by a 40 year old gate valve, making for a bad time soldering. Would consider a SS IPS flange if it would marry to the copper side.
Can't take anything apart until change over time...need to be ready at that time.

Is anyone familiar with this connection?
Thanks.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Propress makes a flange with a propress fitting.Then you could press a fitting reducer into the flange. Is this heating or domestic water??

Also google CTS COPPER FLANGE

CTS Copper Flange Adapter 150lb

150 LB (68kg) | Copper | Adapter

Drilling to Match ANSI B 16.5 Specifications

Sizes 1-1/2" thru 8"
    Flanges shall be drilled to ANSI B 16.5 150 Standard powder coated with a EPDM insulator adhered to the plate steel flange protruding inside of the steel flange to prevent contact with the Copper Companion Flange Adapter. The Copper component of the flange adapter shall be manufactured to ASME B16.22 - 1995
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Thank you Ed, that is a real rabbit hole of flanges, but I think I see something that may work out.
    I don't really need the die electric feature as I am connecting copper to copper. It looks like the actual water seal is the large flange gasket itself. The insulator gasket behind the existing copper piece will probably fall apart so the old copper tailpiece would be in contact with the iron flange. The only iron in the system.