Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

North Carolina

j a_2
j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
Hi, J A here, question for you guys south of the mason dixon....Son having house, 5000 sq. ft., being built in Charlotte N.C. They speced out a 9.4 gpm Rinnai tankless installed outdoors...an indoor ventless fireplace, not happy with that, 2 furnaces one at 80 percent and one at 90 plus...Goodman's....Being a yankee plumber/heating guy all my life, I am wondering if this is normal down yonder...Do they use hydro air down there...Any input will be appreciated....Also can homeowners do any of there own plumbing or gas work there as well,,,,my Master plumbing and gas lic. as well as my sheet metal license is most likely useless down there....

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Pretty much normal.

Hydro AHU's make little sense unless the boiler is needed for something else, such as radiant.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    j a_2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I am up in 7000 HDD country so know nothing about that area, but have what seems to me to be obvious questions.
    Why not both furnaces being 90%???
    Avoid B vent, combustion air issues etc.
    By the time for replacement of the 80% those models may not be available.
    Isn't the fireplace on an outside wall that could be vented thru.
    j a_2
  • j a_2
    Thanks so far for your responses....I am taking it all in
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Tankless water heater outdoors.....that seems a far distance away.
    Though, I guess they are designed for a mild freeze hit?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    It wouldn't hurt to cry on there shoulder and explain the licenses you have. Maybe they will let you do it.

Were used to the NORTHEAST very regulated. Down there not so much
  • Ironman
    edited April 2017
    Rinnai makes an enclosure so the unit can be mounted on the exterior of the house. They guarantee freeze protection down to -10*.

The 80% furnace is probably going in the attic and they don't want the issues that putting a condensing furnace in a freezing area would create.

Depending upon the condition of the water, I'd rather see a tank water heater than the tankless. By the time he pays for semi or annual cleaning for the tankless, any savings is eaten up in maintenance.
    Bob Boan
    JUGHNE
  • j a_2
    Seems funny to be on the other side of all of this..When I was in business I really had not much good to say about general contractors...You guys that have been around know what I speak of....
  • j a_2
    Iron man I like your thinking
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Depending on Utility rates he maybe better off with a heat pump for the up stairs zone. Especially if he doesn't have NG in the attic already. Also if he's going with Goodman make sure he goes 16seer or higher to get the better warranty on the equipment.
  • j a_2
    I to would rather see a tank type water heater with a recirculating system...
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Have him look into a heat pump water heater. especially in the warmer climate it may a lot more sense.
  • Ironman
    njtommy said:

Depending on Utility rates he maybe better off with a heat pump for the up stairs zone. Especially if he doesn't have NG in the attic already. Also if he's going with Goodman make sure he goes 16seer or higher to get the better warranty on the equipment.

If he's got natural gas available, he's far better off with that. Duke power has the highest rates in the nation.
    Bob Boan
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    @Ironman What are the NG prices like with the delivery fees and surcharges? Just anther option. Really not a huge price difference between heat pump or AC condenser.
  • Ironman
    You'd have to look that up. I live in VA, but I used to do a lot of work in NC and Duke power had the highest rates.
    Bob Boan
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    So that makes me wonder then.... if it so warm there wouldn't the heat pump do most of the work and thus keep the energy consumption down? I'm in NH and we pay 12cents / KW.
  • Ironman
    Well again, you'd have to look up both the rate for NG and electric. Then, find the mean winter temp for the locale and see what the heat pump's performance data is at that temp in the manufacturer's specs. Then compare that to the rate for NG, factoring in the AFUE of the furnace.

There are online calculators that do this, but I'm sure you know all this anyway.
    Bob Boan