Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sharkbite fittings

rick in Alaska
rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
So I see on some posts where people need to do connections but are not wanting to use Sharkbites if they are concealed. It seems like theses are the same people who use press fittings.
So my question to all is this: Why are press fittings ok, and Sharkbites not? I personally don't like either one, but have used Sharkbites when I needed them. One uses stainless teeth, the other crimps, but they both hold tight, do they not?
Rick

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    The Sharkbite will allow the tube to rotate in the fitting. It also does not compress the o ring like a ProPress fitting. I have seen Sharkebites leak when the pipe had lateral stress on the fitting, but not the ProPress.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Zmandelta T
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I like shark bites when needed in a pinch for a quick repair. I would never use one where it's not accessible or will be walled up later.
    I think the spring checks are great to put on the return of a heat loop when the Flo valve shot and can't change the insert.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I, personally agree with you @rick in Alaska I don't believe a rubber/polymer type of our ring will stand the true test.....time. I see press fittings as a permanent type of sharkbite. Think about all the victaulic you've seen in heating applications. I've seen my share of leaks when things get 10-20 years on them, especially when cooled off in the summer months.

I just don't like the idea of relying on that type of connection. A soldered connection is the best in my opinion. And it's just that an opinion, based on past experience. I hope I am wrong for those thousands of press connections out there.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    RLuckluketheplumber
  • CTOilHeat
    CTOilHeat Member Posts: 56
    I've used sharkbites in the past as a temporary patch but always go back and sweat a proper fix. For this purpose I believe they are a fine option but wouldn't consider leaving them permanently in place.

Came across one sharkbite that a customer had installed on their basebord loop that began to leak after a couple years. All that expansion and contraction.