Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Shut Your Big Mouth!

Just added the great Big Mouth vents to my system, one on each antler (parallel system) with Gortons and Hoffmans.
The Big Mouths are hissing and getting rather mouthy at anything over 2 oz. pressure.
Took the antlers down, cleaned them, returned to operation., thought there might be some debris.
But still hissing constant on pressure..
Any thoughts?

Comments

• MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    So do they not close when the steam hits them? Or is hissing just before the steam gets there?
  • rorylane
    rorylane Member Posts: 22
    Mine hiss some too, but quiet down at full pressure (8oz). Seems like they take a little longer to close than gortons on my antler.
    New England SteamWorks
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    The thermostatic elements are designed to close at saturated steam temp. Depending on the exact amount of fill some may take a little longer to close but they should close and close hard. I notice when I test them that some close instantly (I'm testing them at 6 PSIG) and some take a little longer. But they all seal. If they don't I toss them in the smelting bin.

If they see a lot of water they will open up as well, being that they are essentially a radiator trap. So it's important to get them as high as possible.

If all those criteria are met, I'm happy to send out replacements. Since you have 2 I would suspect you may have an install scenario vs 2 that are slow to close.

Let me know what I can do to help. I'll be out of the office today so excuse a late response.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    MilanD
  • Sailah
    Just reread. They will certainly hiss as they evacuate the air. But they should NOT be hissing steam. If you are up to pressure and losing steam let me know and I'll swap them out.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    MilanD
  • CKNJ
    CKNJ Member Posts: 57
    Mine hisses a little too. But in my case I am limited to how high I can locate given the restrictions of a low ceiling in the basement. Subfloor is only about 10" above the main.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Mine shut immediately on steam. How high does your pressure get? I have virtually no back pressure during the time air is being vented. What size pipe is your antler? Tapping into the main? Are you sure it's not a Gorton or Hoffman that may be hissing? If it's the Bigmouth, I'm wondering if the placement on the antler, with the Gorton's or the Hoffman makes a difference? Do you have enough pitch on that antler so that water isn't pooling at the end, maybe where the Bigmouth is located?
  • Kahooli
    Kahooli Member Posts: 112
    I have two antlers on two mains, each has one BM and one #2. Both huff and puff while steam is shoving air out, then immediately close tight when steam arrives. I know it's steam because droplets will form on the outlet of the BM in the moment it's closing. That and it get's hotter than...
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited December 2016
    Kahooli said:

I have two antlers on two mains, each has one BM and one #2. Both huff and puff while steam is shoving air out, then immediately close tight when steam arrives. I know it's steam because droplets will form on the outlet of the BM in the moment it's closing. That and it get's hotter than...

A cast iron commode in the summer on the sunnier side of a sidewalk?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    MilanD
  • BurntFingers
    BurntFingers Member Posts: 38
    Thanks guys.
    Peter, thank you for your help and offer.
    When I posted I was sure there must be excess water in my mains, a needed antler redesign, or other that was causing my spitting vents. I know how well these vents are made. It's obvious.. (I talked a friend into buying a pair last week)
    Also, I should not have posted just before leaving for vacation time.
    So, I have experimented with the vents upon returning. I even simplified the MV to just the Big Mouth alone up on an 8" nipple.
    The problem persists. I took lots of photos and videos and returned tonight to the forums. But instead I found the "How-to" on installing the BM Vents..
    I had no idea that the 5/8" Allen wrench was needed to properly tighten the vent up. That must be my problem!!
    I'm off to get a 5/8" wrench tomorrow.
    Thanks Again!
  • Sailah
    Give me a ring at the office today I want to make sure this is on right Thx Peter

781 963 8000x214
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    MilanD