Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this main vent location adequate?

Answerman
Answerman Member Posts: 21
edited December 2016 in Strictly Steam
I'm involved in a project where additional main vents were recently added. This is a one-pipe system with wet returns. In two locations the previous vents (a single Hoffman #4A I beleive, or similar), was removed and replaced with a manifold of 3 Gorton Ds each. But my question is not about the vent sizing, which I know is probably not enough (not my call)..

I'm wondering how suitable the location is. As you can see in the photos below, the vents are not installed directly on the main, but off of the drip leg. This seems less ideal than directly on the main, since I imagine that as condensate starts draining down that drip leg (from the cold mains), there would be less room in the pipe for air to escape. It must work to some degree, as most of the previous vents were installed in this way and seem to work. But I'm wondering if this installation will impair the performance of the vents or have other issues, I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Photos:

(edit: I think those are actually Gorton #1s, but apparently that's the same vent as a D just with a different tapping..)
Energy & Sustainability Engineer
1.jpg 1.2M
2.jpg 757.7K

Comments