Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Too much heat, "I can't stop it".

I have a resident who has too much heat. The t-stat is off and they say it is running through the baseboards. We changed t-stat, zone valve and added a check valve at the end of the running loop.
It is in a tri level building, lower levels have have two zones while the upper level has one with two loops. The return is shared. We tried to explain that it may be the heat from the boiler room and the piping in the building making it warmer than the set temperature of the t-stat. Of course it is not running when we are there, Murph's Law.
Any suggestions? (No, I'm not going to "stay over" to wait for it to happen.)

Comments

• What is the temperature of this area in comparison to the other areas in the building?
    It should be easy to see whether the heat is coming from the radiator, or elsewhere.
    Has the new Thermostat been configured for hydronic heat, and is its location in the best place?--NBC
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    You could try valving out that zone and wait a day or two and check back with them and see if it's now cooler.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • GrampaThom
    GrampaThom Member Posts: 2
    NBC; Its a Honeywell pro 1000, reading 71* switched off. My temp gun reads 76 - 78 in the floor area where the boiler is below. Pipes are at 66*.
    SFM; yeah... I should have done that when I put in the new zone valve. PFFFT!
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Are they new to the building?
    Is this a new problem?

Probably heat from the boiler room and related piping.

Might try manually valving of the zone to rule out gravity heat as already suggested.

If its not gravity heat, the only things to do are insulate the piping and ceiling in the boiler room, and find a way to cool the space - open a window, or add a ventilation system to bring in outside air.
    ChrisF80
  • stevieg
    stevieg Member Posts: 19
    Has this problem just started out of the blue?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Sounds like a bad case of MEAN radiant temperature coming from the boiler, and possibly the chimney if its common to the space. Insulate the boiler and its connections.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.