Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mega press fittins

Mike
Mike Member Posts: 94
Anyone ever use them on steam systems? Thinking on using them between the screwed header, and the mains. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    I have never used them and don't plan of ever using them...
    Most of the folks here are purists when it comes to steam systems and how to pipe them.
    Threaded steel and only that on the header.
    I have seen plenty of folks use copper on systems and they don't hold up.
    Double D
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Do they even make steam rated megapress? I have seen water and NG/LP/ other combustibles but I have never seen a steam rated system.....though I have never looked. If it were mine, I would sure put threaded unions AFTER the MP fittings just in case. Wouldn't want to have to thread 2"+ steel in place!
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    I wouldn't.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Yes. They have them rated for steam. I never would have even considered using them....in the piping of a boiler....Now a repair in the frozen months in a hard to get to area, that's a possibility....My old supply house loaned out the tool to the regulars...Headers are made with cast iron fittings, if not then then there really not a very man like header.....jmo....
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Propress is rated for steam too, doesn't mean it is right. I wouldn't use mega press or propress for steam unless it was a temporary repair. Condensate probably ok.

CSST is approved for gas and I wouldn't use that either.

Just cause something is approved doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
    Double D
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    We had a 6 year old steam boiler job pop a leak in the Hartford loop drop (the pipe, not our threaded stuff), woulda been a pain to fix with a union. We used an 1 1/2 mega slip coup, and cut down a new 24" nip.

Header...that doesnt sound so good, you can nipple just about any steam boiler for us house heating guys. Why spend all that extra dough when screwing is pretty simple?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    kcoppdelta T