Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking radiator

Options
Neild5
Neild5 Member Posts: 167
This site is great! I bought my condo 4 1/2 years ago, 20 units with a common boiler. One pipe steam system that was maintained by a knucklehead for a couple of years, I got management to can him over the summer, but hadn't had a chance to track down all his screw-ups yet. This morning the temp in all the units was a balmy 58 degrees with outside being -3 degrees. I checked the pressuretrol, the cut in was a little above 2 degrees with a 4 1/2 degree differential, so cut out of 6 1/2 psi or so. The safety pressurertrol with the manual reset was set to trip at 5 psi. Got the system working, set to .5 psi cut in and 1 psi differential from what I have learned here. Now for my question, one of the radiators split and is leaking, can it be fixed or is it time to send it to the scrap man? you can see from the picture the leak is where the threaded nipple pulls two sections together.

Comments

• MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    You may be able to patch it temporarily, with some plumber's 2-part metal putty, rubber wrap and a clamp. But, best be replaced asap. Sucky part will be wheeling the thing out if there isn't an elevator.
  • Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    That was what I thought, it is a small unit so should not be bad. I have one with 6 sections that has the same size sections, while replacing the floor a friend's kid picked it up and was doing curls with it. Yes, i have already sent him a text to see if he is available
    this week.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    In all likelihood, you will need to put a new valve and spud on the replacement radiator as well. Those valves/spuds are matched sets and trying to use the current valve on a radiator that has an old spud in it will probably leak at the valve union.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options
    JB Weld would also work, but you have to follow their instructions carefully.
    Retired and loving it.
    SWEI